Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help need ed to identify if my King V is a custom shop model

Hi all,

After many years of owning my King V USA, I am really interested in finding out if it is just an 87 Ontario or a custom shop

I bought it second hand over twenty years ago and I wasn't entirely sure when I bought it which model it was, but as it was a USA, I bought it as it played well, even if heavily gigged. It has the Kahler trem on it, the high e string retainer is broken on the trem but it still works and plays well!

Not sure what trem it should have had originally or if it was meant to lock at the neck, but it is a solid body so wonder if any of you Jackson experts can help?

Apologies for the condition of the guitar...it has seen some action before it came to the retirement home!!

serial number is J3257

Some advice on adding photos would be good as a start.....await to hear with interest...

Kind regards

Chris

Can I download photo to the site without a URL or do I need Photobox or similar?

Comment

Technically anything made before 1990 is considered a custom shop piece.
      1990 is when Jackson started making regular production models.

As for pics, use Photobucket or a similar service.
      -Rick

Comment

J serial = custom shop.

As Rick says, everything prior to 1990 is a custom shop because there was no 'production standard range' until that point.
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

But to be fair to the 'new' guy, even though it was made in the "Custom Shop" (because there only was one place they were made at the time), that doesn't make it a custom order. It could just as easily be a standard run of the mill black King V that is no different than 300 other run of the mill black King V guitars.

Comment

True, but a customer ordered those standard specs from a list of available options, no?
            Last edited by Mudlark; 05-19-2016, 11:01 AM.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Not necessarily. Even back to the early days, J/C would build small runs of guitars for dealers to stock. The point is rather moot, though. A custom shop guitar is a custom shop guitar. Doesn't matter much if it was spec'd and ordered by a customer, a dealer, or the custom shop itself. Is the former more "special"? Sure, i guess, but that's rather subjective. And the latter are still custom shop guitars, anyway.

Comment

Ahhh, the dealer run thing did cross my mind.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

This is why I use the term "technically".
                  They have CS serial numbers, but then again they all did prior to 1990.
                  -Rick

Comment

Then, technically, you were right. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                      Then, technically, you were right. LOL
                      I should be a lawyer.
                      -Rick

Comment

Whoh!! let's not fall out over an axe!!

Many thanks to all who contributed to the discussion....I'm going to try to put a link on, getting interesting though!! I'll await your further comments when the picckies final load..fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                          But to be fair to the 'new' guy, even though it was made in the "Custom Shop" (because there only was one place they were made at the time), that doesn't make it a custom order. It could just as easily be a standard run of the mill black King V that is no different than 300 other run of the mill black King V guitars.
                          It's burgundy... does that make it special?

Comment

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Nice V!
                              DSC_3077.jpg
                              DSC_3074.jpg
                              DSC_3068.jpg
                              DSC_3064.jpg
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X