No announcement yet.

Thoughts about a 1984 San Dimas RR1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 RR you could order any pick ups you wanted back then.
    Not everybody likes binding and sharkies thats why.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
      As the happy owner of an 84 Student Rhoads, now that you say that, I imagine people saying, "yeah an offset V with a headstock I could kill the lead singer with if he's not looking.... But pearl shark fins and binding? No that's ridiculous."

Comment

That's a really good deal on a very early San Dimas graphic Rhoads. You better grab that guitar quick. I'm sure there's people right here on this Forum who may already be trying to contact the seller in Mexico. Go get it !

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          well I certainly wasn't informed of that...as noted, I ordered the guitar from an '83 price list and it quite clearly stated the standard pups as being as I described...said guitar was ordered before Christmas of '83, so should have been built to specs of that period (e.g. '83)...

interesting thing is, the '84 price list specs Jackson pups...so go figure...I guess I should be glad I got Duncans, and that my retailer was cool and gave me a retail version of the distortion which allowed me to wire it for series:single:parallel...

either way, I much prefer the distortion to the SH1...

also interesting about the guitar is that it has a molten brass finish on the pickguard and tailpiece...since that tends to flake off over time they dropped that rather quickly I hear...been tempted to replace with shiny brass...sure looks nice when polished!

final note: I learned a very valuable lesson with that guitar...it came to my attention that the bridge was misplaced and the thing wouldn't intonate, so I sent it back...made them totally replace it, though had no problem allowing them to transfer the hardware, pups, etc. over...thing is the original (4xx) would scream on a note (after the SH6 was dropped in) like it had a sustainiac in it...the replacement won't...2 fold lesson: you love the way a guitar sounds, let them fix it...and secondly WOODS DO MATTER IN AN ELECTRIC...rather obvious as one screamed and drove a held note into a harmonic node and sang like a pissed off angel...the other (of course same species of woods, just different pieces) actually sounds better in a rhythmic sense, and has a glassier sound overall...in the end, what is is what is, I love it and it would be the last guitar I sold if I was in a bind

Comment

Can I ask...
            What makes us think the graphic is:
            1. a graphic instead of a skin?
            2. original?

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
              Can I ask...
              What makes us think the graphic is:
              1. a graphic instead of a skin?
              2. original?
              Looks right to me. Weirdish Bengal wouldn't be wrong for that time period.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

2 things stick out to me as being 'wrong'

1: that is certainly NOT the original case...at least it doesn't match mine and all the others I've seen that housed customs...maybe they used a plastic case on students? don't think so as price for case is same for student and custom in '83 and '84

2: the headstock photo seems to be blurred at the tip (end) and the backside photo cuts off the tip of the headstock...

decal (NOT hand painted) matches mine in appearance and placement...

Comment

original (including the graphic) Student model Rhoads...case is newer...ask for a better pic of the headstock tip

Comment

nice guitar if you don't mind a Kahler.
                    Last edited by rEs; 05-19-2016, 09:23 PM.
                    I made a rock n roll sin when I tried giving in to make money, had to turn down low.

Comment

Working...
                    X