RR0373.....back from the dead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR0373.....back from the dead!

Still a painful memory....but about 10 months ago I dropped it and broke the headstock. And I was even sober. Put the guitar in the case, slid it under the bed, and that was that. In the meantime I moved, did a lot of traveling for work, and the time went by....so about 6 weeks ago I said WTF and decided it was time to man-up and fix it. Upon inspection, the crack was at a very shallow angle....maybe less than 30 degrees measured from the headstock face. This resulted in a large surface area for the Tite-bond, and made it easy to pin. Bottom line, I'm pleased with the results both structurally and cosmetically.

About the guitar, this a Student circa February 1984. Definitely used, with great patina and decent wings and headstock tip for a 30+ year old pointy. Cool combo of a Duncan Jazz neck and....ready.....Duncan Stag-Mag bridge with 3 coil split options. Pretty cool. And this guitar was early enough that it had the Kahler string-lock mounted on top of the truss rod cover - great design. I changed that setup just for convenience-sake.

Here's some pix.

Repair process 3.jpgRepair complete 1.jpga front.jpga front close.jpga rear.jpga hdstk front.jpga hdstk rear.jpg

"Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Nice job! How's the Stag Mag in humbucker mode? I've read some good things about them, like how they'll split and sound just like a single coil, but I've never had a chance to try one.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Owned that guitars years ago...great repair job Mark!!

Comment

SO it broke clean off or just part way?
        Damn. Any before pics?
        Glad you got it fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Nice job! How's the Stag Mag in humbucker mode? I've read some good things about them, like how they'll split and sound just like a single coil, but I've never had a chance to try one.
          It takes some getting used to. As a straight bucker I would probably say it's a little bright, but not ice-picky. Not really JB-ish either - it's just "different" in a good way. I don't have anything else that sounds like it so it fits in well. As far as split, sounds about as stratty as you can get....in a Rhoads .

Comment

Originally posted by BLOOD SPLATTER View Post
            Owned that guitars years ago...great repair job Mark!!
            Thanks Chuck....you may remember that was where I ripped up my hand trying to catch it. You can't make this shit up .

Comment

Originally posted by Catharpin View Post
              SO it broke clean off or just part way?
              Damn. Any before pics?
              Glad you got it fixed.
              Pics would have been the smart move....but I was so pissed about it I wasn't thinking straight. As far as breaking "clean off".....thank god for headstock caps . That saved the day. The break went from the crack you can see angled through the low E tuner hole to the cap. There are slight "stress" marks on the headstock cap itself where it slightly bent upon impact. Again, the break was at a very shallow angle which made the gluing area very large. I left it clamped for about 2 weeks before I pinned it.

Comment

Originally posted by msaint65 View Post
                It takes some getting used to. As a straight bucker I would probably say it's a little bright, but not ice-picky. Not really JB-ish either - it's just "different" in a good way. I don't have anything else that sounds like it so it fits in well. As far as split, sounds about as stratty as you can get....in a Rhoads .
                Cool. I've got a couple project guitars laying around that need new pickups, and I'll probably pick one of those up eventually.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Great work on that! Excellent Gtr to begin with!

Comment

Working...
                  X