Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were there any 1984 San dimas soloists with recessed floyds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, but that's just not correct. Back in the 80s, Kramer guitars had the exclusive distribution rights for Floyds. So you could get them on Kramers, and buy the trems aftermarket in music stores, but Floyds would NOT be supplied to any other guitar manufacturers. That included J/C.

Yes, Floyds were an option on J/Cs in the San Dimas era, anyway. How? This happened one of two ways. a) Every now and then, J/C employees would pick up a batch of trems locally for production purposes. These would more typically go on small runs of "dealer stock" customs. (Think runs of the more "basic" Jacksons back then - JB pink, Ferarri red, ivory, black.). This was more rare than not, but happened more often towards the end of the SD era, as Floyds became more and more popular. The demand was there, so they had to find a way to supply it. Otherwise b) on a customer-ordered guitar, the customer would spec a Floyd, pay their local dealer for the trem, and have it shipped to Jackson for the custom shop build on their guitar.

Don't believe it? Too bad, I'm living proof. LOL. In 1985, I ordered my first custom shop Jackson, a Soloist. I wanted it to have a Floyd, so arranged to have EXACTLY this done for my guitar. It was the ONLY way to get a Floyd on your custom shop order at the time. My Soloist was delivered in April '86 - Floyd and all - shortly before the move to Ontario.

Comment

yep, some of the logs even say FR supplied, for bridge type.

Comment

Yeah, I was gonna mention the logs too. A number of entries say that the floyd was supplied by the customer. He's probably remembering guitars from 87 coming with a JT6.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Charvel/Jackson is very consistent about the trem routes. No "ashtray" cutout was done until 1989. 1989 is a 1-year only kind of deal. They cut the "ashtray" cutout underneath the string lock screws but they did NOT recess the trem into the route. In 1990, they started recessing the trem.

Comment

The headstock logo is a give-away that this is a modern era Soloist. That's the latest logo and has been in use since around 1995 or so.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
            X