Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the scale length of a 22 fret Jackson KV1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the scale length of a 22 fret Jackson KV1?

Hey everyone, any vintage KV1 owners mind lending a hand?

25.5" ....# of frets does not affect scale length....

Comment

Originally posted by BLOOD SPLATTER View Post
      25.5" ....# of frets does not affect scale length....
      But it does if he is trying to replace a neck.

I know you know that, but he might not, and we don't know why he is asking.

Comment

OP asked re: a "vintage KV1" ....that'd be a neck-thru not bolt-on so....

Comment

The KV-1 was never offered in 22 fret, or was it? The original KV-2 was, but was also a bolt-on Professional series.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hoping to replace/repair a damaged neck (it's neck-thru) I've been assured that it can be repaired. If anyone can help that'd be great, just need the scale length.

Comment

Measure it.
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Replacing a damaged neck on a neckthrough? I doubt the cost would be less than a full replacement of the entire guitar. How are they getting the body wings off the neck? How are they getting them back on the new neck? Sounds like a complete rebuild either way, with a wait time equal to getting a new one.

If the damage is so severe that the fretboard needs replacing, it's firewood.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

One, KV1 was 24-fret ONLY. Second, what kind of damage are we talking about? You got pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    Replacing a damaged neck on a neckthrough? I doubt the cost would be less than a full replacement of the entire guitar. How are they getting the body wings off the neck? How are they getting them back on the new neck? Sounds like a complete rebuild either way, with a wait time equal to getting a new one.

If the damage is so severe that the fretboard needs replacing, it's firewood.
                    I would normally agree with you Matt, This may be a special case that requires a little extra effort. The only neckthru KV with 22 frets I know of would have been Pre-KV1. The Double-Rhoads or Original style King V like the ones Robbin Crosby played were all 22 frets. If it is indeed one of the latter I'd do my damndest to fix it. While pricey and labor extensive a broken neck and or fretboard on a neck-thru can be either repaired or replaced by the right luthier. (we've all seen guitars that have had rosewood fretboards replaced with bound ebony at one point or another so that can be done too.) Do you have a serial #?
                    Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

I couldn't do it. I'd keep the pieces in the case in a closet somewhere and remember the times, and spend the dough on a replacement. It's never going to be "the same guitar" ever again. It lost that as soon as it broke.

I've seen fretboard replacements (Budman's Model 5), and only headstock repairs on neckthroughs. I was going for that Morton on Ebay a couple of years back with the snapped head that went down to the 3rd fret, but that looked like it could have been put back together easily from the pics. But a replacement neck for a neckthrough? Not happening. You either chop the neck off at the body and mount a new one or you break off the wings and replace the neck from head to tail.

Either way, the original guitar is gone forever.

Comment

I too would love to see pictures of this. Depending on where and how significant the damage is, this easily may not be worth saving. The weird thing is that he doesn't know how many frets it's supposed to have. It's almost like he doesn't have all the pieces. My guess is that the OP is using the term KV1 as a blanket model and this is just a custom KV prior to a KV1. Of course it could be a custom ordered KV1 but I haven't seen a 22 fretted one. Hell that's one of the first things Dave changed was the number of frets when designing the KV1.
                        "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Working...
                        X