Jackson Custom Select Special Runs - 2 Kelly Versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Custom Select Special Runs - 2 Kelly Versions

So I'm sure most have seen this Kelly 3 hum Custom Select Special run. No doubt inspired by Phil's F-F-F-Foolin' Ibby. I'm not a fan of the 3 hum layout but, ho boy, did they nail the specs on that one. Love the looks....

Full info here:

http://jacksonguitars.com/series/cus...d-gloss-black/

But have you seen that they've now done a 2nd version, in white...

http://jacksonguitars.com/series/cus...rd-snow-white/

Holy smokes, I'm drooling. Again, though, the 3 hum layout holds me back.

Hey Jackson - please, please do a 2 hum version, with a gorgeous quilt-or-flame top, gold hardware. And it must have the same flat top with body binding, preferably ivoroid - that look gives me wood. Make it mahogany body/neck and non-recessed Floyd, and I'll be throwing my money at them
    Last edited by shreddermon; 03-15-2015, 05:15 PM.

Both are really sweet but for me abalone doesn't work with white. I agree about the three pups. That middle one serves very little purpose except to get in the way.

Comment

I think the abalone works great with white, haha. So its hard for them to listen to everyone's wishes unless we order our own CS's. I'm totally into them except for the recessed Floyds. Top mount, baby!

Comment

I prefer the black..

Comment

I dig the abalone, think it looks good with the white. I think the bigger problem is that overall look now causes a subliminal "cheap import" reaction in my brain, thanks to the over-abundance of the Charvel Desolation series.

Comment

Actually it's the black and crème that gives that impression. ESPee and Schecter have been doing the abaloney overload for years, so nothing new there, but any 3-pickup Explorer-shape is going to evoke the Ibenhad Destroyer vibe, and that's the epitome of '70s import action.

And are these going to be cheaper than a Custom Select?

And if the middle humbucker gets in the way, you didn't learn to pick properly. You don't go that far below the strings. A middle humbucker is actually good for proper technique and will help you increase picking speed and accuracy. Once you learn to quit jabbing the pick into the bobbin, but stop at the string like you're supposed to, you'll have a more fluid technique and lots less "pick spank".
            Last edited by Newc; 03-16-2015, 08:21 AM.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That's not what I meant, Newc. Web pic below, see the unfortunate similarities in appearance?...

I'm sure it didn't help that I ordered one of those very Deso Stars and - quite literally - returned it the same day because of very poor QC. And I'm not an anti-import snob - it was just an utter POS, with several major flaws right out of the box.

And the Custom Select Special Runs are - surprise - priced the same as a Custom Select.
              Last edited by shreddermon; 03-16-2015, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Nothing can possibly beat that black one. I would scoop that up in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Comment

The reverse headstock on the black one looks good. I like the black one better too.

Comment

I prefer the white to be honest. And IMO it's the middle hum that makes them look cool - otherwise, it's just another Kelly (more or less)..
                    Popular is not the same as good
                    Rare is not the same as valuable
                    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                      IMO it's the middle hum that makes them look cool - otherwise, it's just another Kelly (more or less)..
                      Totally agree.

Comment

Oh, I agree the 3rd hum looks very cool and unique. Definitely adds a vintage vibe to them, too.

I just wouldn't want to actually play them. LOL Newc's "pick spank" opinions aside (LOL), I could totally see myself being annoyed by having to retrain my picking hand to go shallow. That said, I'm sure it's also just something you gradually get used to and compensate for. Not unlike those who have trouble with the middle SC in HSS layouts.

Comment

Also, don't understand why these don't have a 5 way blade, for the 2 and 4 position "in between" tones.

Comment

Have to say, unless I'm missing the point, I really don't understand how people get their pick caught on a middle pick-up - depending how close the pickup is set, you'd have to have the pick like 3mm or more 'below' the strings for it to hit the pickup, and that seems strange to me..
                            Popular is not the same as good
                            Rare is not the same as valuable
                            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                              Also, don't understand why these don't have a 5 way blade, for the 2 and 4 position "in between" tones.
                              I don't get it, either. The 3-pickup Les Paul Black Beauty always bothered me with the 3-way toggle, too.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X