Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying my first Jackson Soloist, Help me decide (Custom Select Options)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok thanks all. So, here's where I'm at:

SL1
    Top mount Floyd

Still need to decide if I should ditch the middle single coil.

Need to pick a color, but I'm leaning towards Firemist Silver.

Comment

I guess there are two conflicting points about that:

1: It's better to have it and not need it than need it but not have it. Just drop it down low if it interferes with your technique
      2: You can always get one added later but you can't easily remove it.
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by gallery View Post
        Rather than blocking it, would something like the Tremol-no be an option with the top mount?
        You can also drop the trem to the body and shim the Floyd saddles up. I did that on an old Charvel Star I had.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had a lot of Floyd guitars in the 80s, but really got sick of them and went almost always non trem for many years. Well I ordered a Custom select Warrior and surprise....I put a resessed Floyd on it. Just for a change. I really like it and its great to have something different. My other two jacksons I use are both non trem. If it were me in your spot Id do the non trem, two hum thing. Actully Id do just a single hum, but that's how I dig em. Also I always do the vol moved back. It never get in the way then.Hope this helped a bit
          H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Rather than blocking it, would something like the Tremol-no be an option with the top mount?
            I've only had experience with recessed Floyd's but the Tremol-no works great for that. You can set it up to float, dive only, hardtail and (I think) pull up only...someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Comment

What's wrong with you Floyd blocking weenies? That sucker is supposed to float

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post
                What's wrong with you Floyd blocking weenies? That sucker is supposed to float
                Floyd don't do drop D

Comment

Yes they do. They just don't do it on the fly without making some adjustments

Comment

Floyd don't do drop D
                    The reality is, your not supposed to change tunings on a TOM either.
                    It may be less noticeable on them, especially if its only tuning one string.
                    But changing the tuning will change the tension which changes neck angle, which changes the pitch of the othe strings and knocks out your action and intonation.

Comment

I do drop D with my Floyds every show I do. All I do is put the Floyd tuner down all the way, then back it off a quarter turn, then when I need Drop d I just tune it and go. Takes me 5 seconds and it stays in tune for me. Been doing it that way for 25 years.
                      H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mr426 View Post
                        I do drop D with my Floyds every show I do. All I do is put the Floyd tuner down all the way, then back it off a quarter turn, then when I need Drop d I just tune it and go. Takes me 5 seconds and it stays in tune for me. Been doing it that way for 25 years.
                        This. The fine tuner does indeed have a full-step tuning range.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

But you have to have it blocked otherwise all the other strings will go sharp.

Comment

I'm going to give the tremol-no a try first set to dive only and if that doesn't work out for me I'll get it blocked.

Comment

No, my guitars stay intune fine. I've never had trouble using just the fine tuners
                              H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

You have a fully floating floyd and you can detune a string by a whole tone and none of the other strings go out? You must be magic...

Comment

Working...
                                X