1992 Soloist Pickup Help, Please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 Soloist Pickup Help, Please...

Hi, I am trying to restore (as best as I can) my 1992 Jackson soloist to its original pickups, and any help to that end is greatly appreciated.

First, a little background. About 23 years ago I ordered a Jackson soloist, with a lightning sky graphic on it from Sam Ash. It took a while to arrive. (I was told they were made 12 at a time in Canada, even though it says "Made in the USA" on the headstock). But eventually, it came and I loved it. It has serial number u01854 stamped on the 24th fret. It had a midboost and Jackson pickups on it (H/S/S configuration).

1. First question: So I guess this is considered a custom shop Jackson soloist because of the lightning sky graphic, or no?

But then few years later, the midboost system went bad and gave me all sorts of hum and noise. I took it back to Sam Ash and they recommended I go with emg pickups (81 in the bridge and 2 SAs for the middle and neck). The emg pickups were ok, but I always missed my old Jackson pickups. Unfortunately, I have no idea what happened to my original pickups; somewhere over the last 20 years I lost them...

Skipping ahead to today, I was able to locate a JE-1200 mid boost system, two J-200 pickups (neck and middle from a Charvel model 4 guitar) and what I believe is a J-50BC ceramic humbucker bridge pickup (its from a Charvel model 6 guitar--on the back of the bridge pickup it says: "Jackson Pickups. Made in U.S.A. Model 6 Bridge."

2. Second question: So, is there a good chance I have assembled the correct 3 pickups and midboost system to come close to what my 1992 Jackson soloist had? Or did some soloists have the alnico version of the J-50?

On page 44 of the 1990-1991 Jackson Catalog, they have a picture of Doug Aldrich next to the only Soloist in that catalog and it says "JE-1200... two J-200 bi-level humbucking pickups at the front and middle positions ... At the bridge, a J-50BC hubmcking pickup..." The 1992 Jackson Catalog discusses the same pickups for the "Soloist Pro"--however it lists the bridge humbucker as a J-50M.

3. Third question: Was the J-50M the same as the J-50BC or was the J-50M different (maybe it was alnico instead of ceramic)?

Any help is appreciated; and thanks so much for reading this.

Peace,
    HG

Originally posted by higain_guitar View Post
    (I was told they were made 12 at a time in Canada, even though it says "Made in the USA" on the headstock).
    LOL It is made in the USA. That would be Ontario, CA (California) and not Ontario Canada.

As far as pickups, there was a J50N for neck, which was a great PAF-type of pickup. I can't remember there being an M version offhand. Hopefully someone else can help you out soon.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The U prefix on the serial means it's a production guitar not a Custom Shop. 1992 was prior to the 'Select' designation, so I think they were just called the USA Series.

I'm afraid I can't help you on the pickups. I thought they used the Bill Lawrence looking ones in the bridge at that time..
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I have a 91 soloist with the same setup (HSS w/JE1200). The bridge pickup is a J50BC. So you have at least matched what they came with in 91 .

I've never heard of a J50M either.

Comment

Show us a pic please.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Well right now I only have a small picture, but here it is:

Comment

Thanks so much for your help, guys. I did try to post a picture and it said something about being approved by a moderator.

Btw, I am so confused with all the Jackson designations... is my 1992 made in usa Soloist (u01854 serial) considered an SL1? Or is it slightly before SL1s?

Thanks,
              HG

Comment

J50N is a neck PAF with an Alnico
                J50B is a bridge PAF with an Alnico
                J50BC is a bridge PAF with a Ceramic

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  J50N is a neck PAF with an Alnico
                  J50B is a bridge PAF with an Alnico
                  J50BC is a bridge PAF with a Ceramic
                  Thanks for your help, DonP.

What is confusing to me is that page 6 of the 1992 Jackson catalog lists J-50M (M as in mommy).
                  http://support.jacksonguitars.com/ca...92_catalog.pdf

I have no idea what the "M" means....

Thanks,
                  HG

Comment

Production models started in 91 92 so I'm not sure what yours would have been called at that time.
                    Doesn't really matter anyway.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Last question for today... Some websites say Jackson soloists in the 1990s were made of alder wood, others poplar... which is correct? I have always wondered what my 1992 soloist was made out of.
                      Thanks,
                      HG

Comment

I thought older models were poplar, then they switched over to alder. Not sure when the change occurred.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Pretty sure the SL1 designation came later than 92 (it isn't mentioned in the scan you linked).

Don't know what year they switched to alder, but I was always told that the early 90s stuff was poplar.

Comment

About 23 years ago I ordered a Jackson soloist, with a lightning sky graphic on it from Sam Ash.
                            I AM SURPRISED SAM ASH DID NOT HAVE SOME IN STOCK OR ALREADY ON ORDER.

It took a while to arrive. (I was told they were made 12 at a time in Canada, even though it says "Made in the USA" on the headstock).
                            ITS BEEN WELL DOCUMENTED THAT THEY WERE MADE IN BATCHES OF 12. AS STATED BEFORE - ONTARIO, CA - CALIFORNIA, NOT CANADA

I guess this is considered a custom shop Jackson soloist because of the lightning sky graphic, or no?
                            NO, NOT A CUSTOM SHOP. SOME GRAPHICS WERE MADE AVAILABLE JUST LIKE SOLID FINISHES.

But then few years later, the midboost system went bad and gave me all sorts of hum and noise.
                            DID YOU CHANGE THE BATTERIES

I took it back to Sam Ash and they recommended I go with emg pickups (81 in the bridge and 2 SAs for the middle and neck). The emg pickups were ok, but I always missed my old Jackson pickups.
                            YOU COULD HAVE KEPT THE ORIGINAL PICKUPS AND JUST CHANGED OR REMOVED THE PRE-AMP.

2. Second question: So, is there a good chance I have assembled the correct 3 pickups and midboost system to come close to what my 1992 Jackson soloist had? Or did some soloists have the alnico version of the J-50?
                            IN REALITY, ANY SOLOIST COULD HAVE A HAD ANY COMBINATION. YOU ARE CLOSE ENOUGH TO ORIGINAL, I DON' THINK IT WILL MATTER -- UNLESS YOU HAVE THE ORIGINAL WORK ORDER STATING EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE.
                            AND MAYBE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS BETTER CAN CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG. WEREN'T THE PICKUPS ON THE USA GUITARS MADE IN THE USA AND THE ONES USED ON IMPORTS MADE IN JAPAN? WHICH WOULD MEAN THAT YOUR MODEL 6 PICKUPS MAY BE THE SAME MODEL BUT THEY WERE DIFFERENT.

On page 44 of the 1990-1991 Jackson Catalog, they have a picture of Doug Aldrich next to the only Soloist in that catalog and it says "JE-1200... two J-200 bi-level humbucking pickups at the front and middle positions ... At the bridge, a J-50BC hubmcking pickup..." The 1992 Jackson Catalog discusses the same pickups for the "Soloist Pro"--however it lists the bridge humbucker as a J-50M
                            THE ACTIVE CIRCUITRY IS SEPARATE FROM THE PICKUPS. YOU CAN RUN A JE-1200 ON ANY PICKUP. AND PICKUPS CAN RUN WITH OR WITH OUT ANY SORT OF PRE-AMP.

3. Third question: Was the J-50M the same as the J-50BC or was the J-50M different (maybe it was alnico instead of ceramic)?
                            THE J-50M WAS A WARM, CLASSIC TONE WITH INCREASED OUTPUT -- THAT WAS A QUOTE FROM THE 92 CATALOG YOU POSTED.

Btw, I am so confused with all the Jackson designations... is my 1992 made in usa Soloist (u01854 serial) considered an SL1? Or is it slightly before SL1s
                            WE'RE ALL CONFUSED WITH THINGS JACKSON DID.
                            THE SL1 CAME LATER. YOU HAVE A SOLOIST.

Comment

I had never heard of the J-50M before. You learn something new every day. I've certainly never had one in any guitar before.

--The JE-1200/J-200/J-50BC combo was stock in both the USA Soloist and Japanese Soloist Pro during the 1990-92 period, AFAIK, whatever the catalog says. My '90 Soloist Pro had that setup until I replaced it all with Duncans and passive wiring. If the J-50M was as Pianoguyy says it was, then it would have been all wrong to use with a JE-1200, which adds midrange warmth to the sound. Frankly, it's the ONLY way to get the J-50BC to sound like anything but shite.

--The model name debate is completely pedantic. USA Soloist/Soloist Custom/SL-1 are all the SAME GUITAR MODEL, just from different years and slightly different specifications.

--The Bill Lawrence bridge pickups were standard on USA Soloists from 1993-95. Duncans have been standard since then.

--All Jackson pickups were made in Japan after 1985, when Grover did the deal with IMC. The existing components stock was shipped over to Japan, which is why you see some later '80s Jackson pickups mislabeled as "Made in USA." Presumably, there was a mixture of USA and Japan pickups in the parts bin in Ontario for awhile, but I'm sure it was all Japanese pickups by 1992. Supposedly, the only surefire way to tell a USA pickup from an early Japanese pickup is by comparing the wiring gauges (Japanese pickups used thinner gauge wiring from the start).

--To the best of my knowledge, the switch-over from poplar to alder on USA Soloists happened in 1996, when the current version, the SL-1, was introduced. I believe it had to do mostly with a change in lumber prices for the two woods. They sound very similar, though alder weighs slightly less. In practice, it makes no difference unless you want a natural finish (poplar is fugly).

--USA production models were introduced in 1990.
                              Last edited by pro-fusion; 03-07-2015, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X