NGD...San Dimas RR, minty fresh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD...San Dimas RR, minty fresh!

Scored a 1985 RR in almost perfect condition. The only imperfections are from the factory and a little bit of corrosion on one of the trem knobs.
    The case has a few nicks and dings but the guitar that lives inside has none.
    Now for the pics.
    Here it is next to my RR1. Notice the head stock is a little fatter and less pointy. Also the long wing looks like it is slightly shorter but I think that is mostly because the bevel is different. It is slightly more beveled than the RR1.
    RR1304-01.JPG

Here you can see how mint the finish is, not a scratch anywhere. If you look below the trem bar reflection at the corner of the bridge pickup you can see a divot under the paint. I guess they didn't worry how smooth they were back then? It is very faint and you need to look at the right angle to even see it but it was definitely there before paint.
    RR1304-02.jpg

Here is another angle and you can see the 2nd larger divot under the paint. Again it is very faint and only shows up when you get the right angle/reflection to be able to see it. You can't see it in the photo above.
    RR1304-03.JPG

Here is the back, again there a some slight imperfections under the paint near the jack but I think that is just how they did them back then? Am I just looking to closely?
    RR1304-04.jpg

So shiny!!!! Oh hi there.
    RR1304-05.JPG

So minty that the truss rod cover still has the plastic film on it.
    RR1304-06.jpg

There was quite a bit of corrosion on the switch under the pick guard. I have not seen this before but I also haven't poked around in many 29 year old guitars. At least I know it is old.
    I hit it will a bit of compressed air and it all looks fine.
    RR1304-07.JPG

Guitar plays great, except I think I need to fiddle with the Kahler because it goes out of tune if you breathe on it. I have no experience with them but I will learn what I need to. I am not too worried because I bought this more as a collector than a player. I already have an RR1 player.
    As it ended up I pretty much traded my 1984 Gibson Explorer for this minus ebay/paypal fees. I am pretty sure in years to come the Gibson will appreciate more monetarily. However this is the exact guitar I wanted back in the 80's when I bought the Gibson because I couldn't afford a Jackson. I had to wait 27 years but I finally got what I wanted. How sweet is that?

Damn it! You possess one of my dream guitars! Many here don't seem to be fans of black but I sure am. She beautiful bro. The only way it could be any better (in my book) is if it were crimson swirl. Congrats!
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
      Damn it! You possess one of my dream guitars! Many here don't seem to be fans of black but I sure am. She beautiful bro. The only way it could be any better (in my book) is if it were crimson swirl. Congrats!
      Ha! The chance to score one so perfect and pretty much unplayed is what drove me to unload my Gibson wall hanger. The guy actually sold it 2x before me on ebay. Once to China (copy anyone?) and then to Russia. He didn't want to ship it after being burned on another sale where they shipped him back a chibson after he sold/shipped a '77 les paul and ebay/paypal saw no problem with giving out refunds to the scammers. Document what you ship!
      As much as I love this guitar and having what I always wanted, I am not sure if I want a wall hanger. Trade bait? I want an RR guitar, preferably sparkly.

Comment

Glad to see you finally got her, glad she turned out to be so sweet and minty. I will be getting my new RR on Thursday
        I like black and white guitars

Comment

I would trade an 80's Explorer for a San Dimas Rhoads any day. I think you did good. Congrats!
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Haven't seen many RR's with a Kahler. Looks great, straight from the 80's. Congrats man!

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
              Damn, you possess two of MY dream guitars! If it were Lightning
              Sky it would be perfect. Lucky man! I have no prob with the Kahler
              though many others will disagree...

Comment

Sweet!!

Comment

NICE, still looking for one of those myself. thats a killer, and yes slight paint flaws are normal on those old Jacksons.

Comment

Great score!!!!

Comment

BEAUTY....congrats!!

Comment

Damn...nice!

Comment

Very nice! Congrats.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Love that guitar! Those were the first "Jackson" labeled guitars - I remember the story of how strange the guitar looked, so Grover signed it with his name instead of a Charvel logo. Notice how the decal is in a different location, and the font is also slightly bigger?
                            '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                            '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                            '98 PRS Custom 22
                            '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Thanks guys, it is very special guitar. I feel like it is so nice I should only play it naked and without a pick...it's that flawless.

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                              NICE, still looking for one of those myself. thats a killer, and yes slight paint flaws are normal on those old Jacksons.
                              It's not a paint flaw it is the wood underneath and perfectly round. It almost looks like someone put it on a jig the wrong way and stopped as they started the route, or they banged it with a ball peen hammer before going to paint.
                              1985 was the biggest production year for RR guitars and my guess is they were running full bore to keep up with demand and if there were some minor flaws they just didn't have the time to fix them. The wood on the very tip of the large wing is also a little rough under the paint. The paint is spot on perfect and looking into the control cavity it all looks completely original. It seems that is just how it was then...chaos.

Comment

Working...
                              X