DK-1 owners out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post
    Growing up, I thought that neck thru was the pinnacle of guitar design. When I didn't have one, I wanted one. When I got one, I loved it and never looked back. However, I found lots of people that prefer bolts. I have a DK-1 and while I like the unfinished neck, the heel does bother me every once in a while. A Soloist with an unfinished neck seems to be the perfect compromise.

My favorite guitar has an unfinished neck, I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. And I always liked being able to use the heel of a bolt on as a thumb rest.

A lot of neck thru guitars - it really boils down to the heel. I like my Ibanez, the neck stays thin well up into the body. My Jackson neck thickens really quickly and it makes it uncomfortable. I have a Schecter that is a set-thru, its similar to the Ibanez with heel staying thin.

Comment

Both specs win for me - bolt on & EMG.

Ive recently got into the world of passives & am enjoying what I have but I'm still a huge EMG fanboy.

As for bolt ons, I just prefer the look more than anything. They feel a little better & there is the ease of neck change but it's mainly aesthetics.

Comment

I'd take a DK1 over a Soloist any day. The bolt on neck heel does not bother me and I prefer the profile as well as the unfinished which is a stock feature- not a spec change. Also, the volume knob placement is moderately less bothersome than on the Soloists.
        It's interesting that the DK1 is responsible for for bringing me back around to EMGs. Was NOT a fan of them until I picked up my bengal DK1 and for whatever reason, they sounded much better. Since then I've put EMGs in two other guitars. Likely, it'll stop there as I like the EMG 81/85 combo but only so much. Still reach for my SD TB-5 equipped axes first.

Comment

I'm totally a bolt-on guy. The attack seems stronger to me than with set/thru necks and I've never lacked sustain.

My first decent guitar was a Dinky Pro XL which I played hundreds of shows with growing up and still gets regular use today - it got ousted as my number 1 in 2003, when I got a DK-1. Both have EMGs in - 2x89s in the DK-1 and 89/SA/SA in the XL. This month I got my first Jackson CS - 7 string Stealth from 1998. More bolt-on action! Other than that, I've got a custom Strat and Tele (EMG DG set and T set), a Charvel Model 2 (EMG 81/ 89R), a Charvel Traditional (EMG 81/ S/ SA), a Charvel of unknown model that my buddy defretted, two six string basses and a five string... and every last one has a bolt-on neck.

Comment

Working...
          X