Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanding the neck on a Jackson Neck-Thru?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding the neck on a Jackson Neck-Thru?

Guys,

I like the feel of natural necks, but I like the look of painted necks on neck-thru guitars. I'm planning on ordering a custom select soloist, and I'm thinking of having the neck match the body paint. Then, once it's home, I'm thinking about lightly sanding the back of the painted neck (polyester) in order to make it smoother.

Have any of you tried this? Do you foresee any serious problems doing this to the neck? Some guys seem to feel its acceptable to do to a modern guitar neck:

Let me know, and thanks!

Why not just do the "oiled natural" neck finish upcharge for $160?

Comment

Originally posted by claxor View Post
      I like the feel of natural necks, but I like the look of painted necks on neck-thru guitars.
      Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
      Why not just do the "oiled natural" neck finish upcharge for $160?
      Because he likes the look of painted necks on neck-thru guitars.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Have any of you tried this? Do you foresee any serious problems doing this to the neck? Some guys seem to feel its acceptable to do to a modern guitar neck:

I've seen that video before, and I've seen plenty of people do that over the years. You'll be fine. The satin feel is close to that of an oiled neck, but it will get go back to being shiny over time, so you'll have to eventually lightly sand it down again. And the good news, if you ever sell the guitar, it will be able to be buffed right back to high gloss.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Because he likes the look of painted necks on neck-thru guitars.
          Ah ok I get it. So yeah, I think this is a waste of time. I had a refin done once with a glossy body and a satin neck in the same color, and the satin neck pretty much turned glossy after about a week of playing it.

Soooooo how about that oiled neck option instead?

Comment

Thanks, Toejam.

Or... John Suhr once suggested to me to just use Lemon Pledge on the back of a painted neck. Hmm... I wonder how good that is?

Comment

Also depends on the type of satin finish, too. Gibson's nitro satin does tend to get glossy quicker. Carvin's satin (poly?) as well as ESP/LTD's satin do not seem to get glossy as quick, but they do over time.
              The oiled neck option would be a great choice, but some people just prefer the look of paint.

Comment

Thanks, Toejam.

Or... John Suhr once suggested to me to just use Lemon Pledge on the back of a painted neck. Hmm... I wonder how good that is?
                I don't know how well that would work on the back of a neck, but don't used Pledge on a rosewood or ebony fingerboard... you'll get white residue in the pores of the wood that will be there for a very long time.

Comment

On a related note: how do you clean the back of a maple neck (natural) that was once treated with tung oil?

Comment

Lemon oil will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X