30th Anniversary Soloist Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    Eh. Makes me wonder why Chris Cannella is working for ESP now and only playing their guitars live...
    Wow, hadn't heard that. I had lunch with Chris back in April and he was telling me about again about management of Jackson and FMIC. Hope he does well at ESP. Will have to reach out to him and wish him luck.

Comment

Soloist models are the way to go , I can't believe I even considered selling mine.

Comment

i think you can get a more SD era correct custom select for less. I know i have seen a few on here.

Comment

Yes, Randy's was a 2 hum guitar. I was just thinking it made less sense to use a mini toggle on that than on a H/S/S guitar like a Soloist or Model 6. On the latter you could get combinations not obtainable with a regular toggle switch at the time. I also have a Strat Elite from the early 80's and that guitar has 3 push button switches in it! At that time Strats were using a 3 way blade switch not 5 way for the most part. So push buttons, or in the case of Jackson/Charvel, mini switches made sense. Back to Randy's black/gold, its possible they used what was laying around at the time but I would think they were more likely to have standard 3 way toggle switches laying around than minis. Besides, if Randy didn't like the mini you think it would have been switched out for a standard toggle switch quickly thereafter. I don't know.
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Carvin's DC135 (H/S/S) used to come standard with three on/off mini switches, now it's got a blade but the switch option is still there to order. One guy on their forum ordered it as an H/S version but with two on/off mini switches... I really don't understand that, as he could have just got either one mini switch or a toggle/blade.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My schecter has them using 3 way mini on/off/on coil tapped. It's a great option

Comment

EMG's? I've never seen an early Soloist with them. And 3 knobs? Maybe they are confusing the Soloist with the Pacer? The older Shannon Soloists were way more accurate "tributes"!
                '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                '98 PRS Custom 22
                '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Originally posted by AndyK View Post
                  EMG's? I've never seen an early Soloist with them. And 3 knobs? Maybe they are confusing the Soloist with the Pacer? The older Shannon Soloists were way more accurate "tributes"!
                  I have an '88 Soloist with EMG's (hss). I am not the original owner, but I have had it since the early 90's. I don't know if it was modified before I got it or if it is original.

And I have an '87 Strat with one pickup and 3 knobs. All original.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                    I have an '88 Soloist with EMG's (hss). I am not the original owner, but I have had it since the early 90's. I don't know if it was modified before I got it or if it is original.

And I have an '87 Strat with one pickup and 3 knobs. All original.
                    Sure, the later 80's models had those options, but in '84 - not so sure!
                    '98 PRS Custom 22
                    '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Sure, the later 80's models had those options, but in '84 - not so sure!
                      Didn't know how early you meant when you said 'early soloist'.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                        Didn't know how early you meant when you said 'early soloist'.
                        Should have said the "first" batch of Soloists! Early is relative I guess - depending on how old you are!
                        '98 PRS Custom 22
                        '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Should have said the "first" batch of Soloists! Early is relative I guess - depending on how old you are!
                          I view 'early' and 'original' as the 80's, not just serial 1000-1505.
                          But I wouldn't have said anything if you said 'first batch'

Question has been asked and answered.

Comment

I forget whether it was the article or the sidebar, but they talked about the EMG choice being a semi-homage to SD era guitars. They talked about these being a modem equivalent to the 80s Jackson active pickups no longer produced now. (Although, again, that's more associated with post SD era.) And also referenced how many guys would swap their pickups to EMGs back then, anyway.

Anyway, that seemed to be their thinking.

Comment

I think it is fantastic that Mike is building these anniversary Soloists the old fashioned way, pin routing, 3 piece bodies no lam or CNC. Little details like the O in Jackson touching the N as the logo was back in the day.
                              Believe me if I had the dosh I would be ordering a Strat head San Dimas era Dinky with top mount Floyd in a heartbeat. Wjat guitars they were!
                              I prefer the Dinky's to the Soloists though I would like to try the 7/8th scale Soloist like Steve Stevens has still.

Emerald
                              http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html
                              http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Elect...veStevens.html
                              http://www.garymoorefc.com/guitars_heritage
                              http://www.garymoorefc.com/guitars_hamer

Comment

I can't believe how overpriced these axes are...
                                www.bodyfarmdeathmetal.com
                                www.facebook.com/bodyfarmdeathmetal
                                www.metalblade.com/bodyfarm

Comment

Working...
                                X