Taking The Plunge - Custom Jackson Ordered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking The Plunge - Custom Jackson Ordered

I took the plunge and submitted my order for a Kelly custom. This will be my second Kelly and will compliment my present Kelly made in 1992 from the Ontario shop.

Specs are the same- 1 humbucker (EMG81) & 1 volume knob except for a few cosmetic things like the logo in pearl and NO paint shrinkage lines! If i see paint shrinkage, i will personally go to Corona, CA and hand the guitar back to the builder and demand a rebuild!

Price is definitely more expensive compared to 1992, obviously. But what really making me cringe is this:

My order is considered a Masterbuild. This means $1000+ more & the 2 year wait as opposed to 6+ months for a Custom Order.

I wanted 22 frets instead of 24 - Masterbuild - 2 years
    I settled for 24 frets BUT like my present Kelly, i wanted the volume knob towards the bottom and away from my strumming hand ala Marty Friedman's Kelly... It is because of this placement of the volume knob, my new Kelly is now a Masterbuild hence 2 year wait!!! Unbelievable! But it is what it is, so be it. And since this is a now a Masterbuild, i went with what i wanted regarding the number of frets- 22.

I suspect that Jackson is utilizing templates. If your specs fall outside the template as the placement of the volume knob and 22 frets instead of 24 does in my specs = Masterbuild. Strange justification but whatever.

Either way, i'm expecting this guitar to be flawless despite the horror stories i've read. Crossing my fingers. It will be a long 2 years but it will be worth it... when i receive it, that is.

I requested photos be taken at various stages of the build. Maybe they will comply.
    [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Congrats! It is mind boggling at times where they draw the line on certain specs, but I'm sure it will turn out great. I just received a CS Soloist that came out perfect and it was almost exactly 2 years from the order. I think the toughest part about the wait is not changing your mind 10 times about your specs.

Comment

Moving the volume knob adds 2 years to the build time? On a guitar that's custom built?
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

oh man, good luck. lots of threads in other forms of people getting screwed around by the cs. also, i would seriously fight them on that masterbuild bullshit. sounds like they're pulling one over on you. that guy with the 23 fret kelly had very similar specs to yours, and his wasn't masterbuild. if jackson is already trying to pull this on you, it might be a bad sign of things to come... just my toughts.

Comment

That is a LONG time to wait!! I couldn't do it. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X