Custom Select Ordered!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Select Ordered!

Alright, took the plunge and ordered a custom select SL2H.

Specs:Alder Body
    Maple Neck
    Ebony Fretboard
    No Fretboard Inlays
    Black Logo + Custom Shop Lettering
    Ivoroid Neck and Headstock Binding
    Jumbo Stainless Steel Frets
    Black Hardware
    Original Floyd Rose
    No Truss Rod Cover
    Controls 1/2" Back
    3-way toggle pickup selector
    Direct Mounted Pickups
    Oil Finished Neck
    Matching Headstock
    Lime Green Metallic Finish

Nothing too crazy, but it's just different enough to be awesome. Plus, my dealer is giving me a deal on them swapping in a set of Dimarzio Illuminators (I'm kind of a JP fanboy, haha) and swapping the location of the volume and pickup selector. With 1/2" back controls this should be perfect.

So, now it's time to wait...

Anyone else have a custom select around here? It would be cool to see some.

We've all seen the 23 fret Kelly, the messy routes on that Dinky, and now a 2+ year wait on a 7 string Kelly that they forgot to install stainless steel frets on per the order (as of today on Sevenstring.org). Crossing my fingers that this works out well.

There's been a few popping up.

Not all your specs match what I'd go for (that's the point, right?) but when i saw what finish you had listed, it didn't matter,.

That is gonna look insane.

Maybe 6 month wait?

Comment

I was totally sold on the color when my dealer here pulled out a custom stratocaster in the same finish. Very unique and 100% badass!

I was quoted 3-4 months. Sooo... yeah, probably 6 month wait, haha.

Comment

Sounds tasty! May patience be with you!

Comment

Mmmm-mmm-mmm sounds nice!

Comment

Great specs, can't wait to see it. Lime green is a killer color.

I would guess your wait will be longer, though. Maybe more like 6 to 9 months. Hard to say, though.

Comment

I've got a Custom Select that is becoming one of my favorite guitars. I'm really diggin the neck these days.

Comment

^ Is that two bridge pickups? Looks great though.

Any issues with it? I know the sample size is small, but I've seen a few lemons out of the custom shop lately.

Comment

Originally posted by groverj3 View Post
                  ^ Is that two bridge pickups? Looks great though.

Any issues with it? I know the sample size is small, but I've seen a few lemons out of the custom shop lately.
                  Nope

Comment

Plus, my dealer is giving me a deal on them swapping in a set of Dimarzio Illuminators (I'm kind of a JP fanboy, haha) and swapping the location of the volume and pickup selector. With 1/2" back controls this should be perfect.
                    Interesting. Isn't the hole routing for the volume and pickup switch different? For example, the volume hole is smaller and the pickup switch is much larger? Wouldn't your dealer have to fill-in the current pickup switch hole and then re-drill/route?

Comment

Originally posted by claxor View Post
                      Interesting. Isn't the hole routing for the volume and pickup switch different? For example, the volume hole is smaller and the pickup switch is much larger? Wouldn't your dealer have to fill-in the current pickup switch hole and then re-drill/route?
                      No filling necessary. You can fit the shaft of the pot through the existing hole that was for the switch and the knob over the shaft will cover it well enough that it will look fine. The volume pot hole will need to be enlarged for the switch though. I plan on playing it a bit before doing this mod to make sure it would put the switch sufficiently out of the way with the 1/2" back placement. If not, I'll do my usual mod which is removing the tone knob and putting the volume there. I have a bunch of plastic bits I've used to fill the empty volume pot hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Boy View Post
                        Nope

Great looking guitar!

Comment

No filling necessary. You can fit the shaft of the pot through the existing hole that was for the switch and the knob over the shaft will cover it well enough that it will look fine. The volume pot hole will need to be enlarged for the switch though. I plan on playing it a bit before doing this mod to make sure it would put the switch sufficiently out of the way with the 1/2" back placement. If not, I'll do my usual mod which is removing the tone knob and putting the volume there. I have a bunch of plastic bits I've used to fill the empty volume pot hole.
                          Have you ever successfully placed a pot and knob where the switch normally is, on a USA soloist? (My luthier told me this won't work)

Comment

Other than making one hole larger I don't see why it wouldn't work. But, no, I haven't done it personally. I might have to use a washer over the top of the former switch hole or something. I can't imagine it would be impossible or look bad.

Comment

well, keep us posted on the project. I'd love to prove my luthier wrong, and have more.options to experiment with!

Comment

Working...
                              X