Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Select: Dinky/Soloist

Hey guys,

Since the new Custom Select price list includes many more options I am seriously tempted to order one.
    Thing is I really don't mind bolt on vs neck through, either one's good enough for me.
    But I am a huge fan of the older cavity plate on the Dinkys than the huge ones on the post 1987 Jacksons that come with todays Soloists.
    BUT the neck on the Dinky is thinner and I like the "thicker" necks on the Soloists and haven't got a DK1 to try.

So I am trying to figure out if I should go with Dinky for the smaller route but with the thinner neck or the Soloist for the "thicker" neck and the bigger route.

Thoughts?

thanks

I'd go with the neck that feels the best.,, the rout on the back plays no part in how the guitar plays and feels and no one is looking at the rout on the back of your guitar but your Dick,,,and Dick don't give a damn..unless it's lubricated....then the size of the route might matter to the FEEL of the guitar

MOSHON
    DAVE
    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Yeah why does the route size matter? Are you looking to stash your weed in there? :think: :idea:

Comment

Who invented all the screws on the back of a guitar?
        The screws used to snag my spandex.

Comment

Yeah, you want to pick a guitar that's comfortable, not a guitar you can turn around and show people the back of...
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by MOSHWITZ View Post

I'd go with the neck that feels the best.,, the rout on the back plays no part in how the guitar plays and feels and no one is looking at the rout on the back of your guitar but your Dick,,,and Dick don't give a damn..unless it's lubricated....then the size of the route might matter to the FEEL of the guitar

MOSHON
            DAVE
            This is the best possible answer^^

Comment

I guess I'm too OCD!

Comment

+1. Go with what feels best to you

Comment

One other consideration is the location of the electronic controls. They are further away from the bridge pickup on the dinky. You can move the volume knob on a soloist, but at extra cost.
                  Chief Guitar Geek at George's Music Center
                  www.georgesmusiccenter.com/theguitarstash
                  [email protected]

Comment

Anyone here wanna chip in and tell me how the DK1 feels compared to the Soloist?

Comment

The DK1 is thinner and 'squarer' i.e. flat D, whereas the Soloist is that bit thicker and more C shaped. And of course, normally a DK1 neck is satin finished, whereas a Soloist is painted..

Comment

+1. If you've ever played a Charvel pointy head neck, the DK1 is extremely similar. It's oiled, though, not satin.

Both neck profiles are very comfortable, easy to play IMHO. Everyone's preferences may be different, though.
                        Last edited by shreddermon; 02-11-2014, 11:34 AM.

Comment

By pointy head neck, do the Charvel Model series count? Cause I have a Model 4, if that's something I can compare with.

Comment

No, I meant the USAs.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                              ..It's oiled, though, not satin.
                              Really? I could swear both DK1s I've had had more than oil on them..

Comment

Working...
                              X