Polyester or Urethane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polyester or Urethane?

I'm sure there was allready a thread about this, but I was not able to find it back..

So, Polyester or Urethane? Positives and negatives? And with what are the USA Jacksons coated with?
    www.bodyfarmdeathmetal.com
    www.facebook.com/bodyfarmdeathmetal
    www.metalblade.com/bodyfarm

Here's some info, Tho: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/140...light=urethane
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Do you have some details on your project? That would help in choosing one over the other.

Comment

I might be ordering a Custom Select soon and was thinking of going with an olympic white finish. Thing is I want it to yellow over the years. Which one do I go with? Polyester doesn't wear out huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
          Thanks! Though, in this topic one dude says that polyester will dent, not crack, and the other dude says that urethane will dent, not crack.

By the way, It's for a CS soloist. Mahogany, all black.

Comment

Yeah, I googled and everyone's saying the same thing about the other.

Comment

If polyester is harder material it's likely that that's the one that cracks, and not dents ;-)

anyone?

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something but on the CS order form it says polyester is standard, not urethane as mentioned in the previous thread. In fact it says $240 extra for urethane.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Polyester will yellow. Urethane will not.
                  Chief Guitar Geek at George's Music Center
                  www.georgesmusiccenter.com/theguitarstash
                  [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                    Maybe I'm missing something but on the CS order form it says polyester is standard, not urethane as mentioned in the previous thread. In fact it says $240 extra for urethane.
                    I was just checking out that spec sheet the other day for CS and I don't think they'll allow anything but urethane on the white-type finishes at least for the select series, prob because of the yellowing. There's an asterisk next to those colors.
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Ok.

Polyester will get yellow, urethane not.

Any other facts?

Comment

Urethane ends up being a thinner finish, so if you subscribe to the theory that thinner finished sound better, go that route.
                        Chief Guitar Geek at George's Music Center
                        www.georgesmusiccenter.com/theguitarstash
                        [email protected]

Comment

I think Sully is a master of this topic. He's recommended reranch.com before, they have a forum there.

Comment

I think you find application is crucial to millage regarding either materials. The thing is like mentioned, most polyesters will yellow. Some guys desire that aged look over a period of time. But regarding colors, if you want the color to remain true, use polyurethanes over lighter colors like white and silver. You will also be able to find polyurethane easier.
                            Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                            http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Thats actually a myth, its because in the beginning guys were spraying polyester the same way they had urethane and nitro so it got a bad rap for being thick and sound deadening. Polyester does dent and not chip as easily, BC Rich used polyester almost from the beginning. John Suhr has a nice vid explaining his new polyester finishes.

Originally posted by killerburst View Post
                              Urethane ends up being a thinner finish, so if you subscribe to the theory that thinner finished sound better, go that route.

Comment

Working...
                              X