Ontario Soloist? ID Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Soloist? ID Help

Checked out a soloist in a pawnshop yesterday, didnt get a chance to take pix. Left a deposit.
    Trying to figure out if my ID is correct.
    It has a control layout almost exact to neilli's soloist (close vol and tone with 3 mini toggles),
    In fact I thought it was an exact clone at first. If not for the bigger flakes and JT6/OFR they could be brothers
    It was a metallic blue closer to the model series "medium " blue, way smaller flakes in paint than neilli's.
    Oversized hum and two singles
    Looks to originally have a JT6, swapped in antiquity for an OFR... still has JT6 locknut
    Neckthrough, 24 fret ebony/MOP sharkies. headstock has non MOP logo with R not TM
    Neck heel is like a model 6, Ontario control route.
    NO serial on last fret, looked very carefully, was not sanded either.
    Trem cavity had typical jackson stamp with Electric blue metallic for color and 4044 for the order #
    Only negative I saw was the OFR had a pullup route added, decent job but was flush mount JT6 originally.
    As soon as I pick it up I will post pix...but the no serial thing had me scratching my head.
    I guess what I am asking is , Is there any way to decipher the order # ?
    Thanks.

Check the last fret for the serial number. There has to be a serial number on the last fret if it's a USA neck thru. The only guitars that were built in the USA that didn't have a serial number were employee owned or employee project guitars. By order number do you mean the "Work Order?" If so that's a really low number. Both of my USA KV2's have a ten digit work order number.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

FMIC don't offer a serial or work-order info service, so nope, there's no way to find out anything.

Lack of serial always makes me think 'stolen' first off. But it could be:

-the board has been leveled as part of a re-fret
      -that it was an employee project
      -that it never got stamped (pretty unlikely)
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
        FMIC don't offer a serial or work-order info service, so nope, there's no way to find out anything.

Lack of serial always makes me think 'stolen' first off. But it could be:

-the board has been leveled as part of a re-fret
        -that it was an employee project
        -that it never got stamped (pretty unlikely)
        Why would a re-fret have anything to do with the serial number being gone? The serial number is stamped into the over hang that doesn't have a fret and is essentially never touched when playing.
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
          Why would a re-fret have anything to do with the serial number being gone? The serial number is stamped into the over hang that doesn't have a fret and is essentially never touched when playing.
          It can happen if the board is aggressively replaned.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            It can happen if the board is aggressively replaned.
            Okay cool. Thanks for the knowledge bro. I've never seen a re-fret job on a USA Jackson.

Comment

A 4k work order puts it 86-88. Which coincides with the jt6 era.
              There are a few that have the trem pull up. If i remember what i read here, it was only one year that had it.

Comment

I did get a really good look at the last fret area not a trace of a serial, no trace of planing or refretting that I could tell.
                I have had several J/C neckthroughs and am familiar with the stamp, also have had guitars refretted and these look original as far as I can tell.
                First thing I did was try to get a serial so I could ID it easily.
                the trem cavity stamp had 4044 in the top field (the line above due date)but I could not read the inkstamp, guessing its workorder?
                The number was definitely 40X4, the 3rd digit was either 4 or 9 (crappy handwriting)
                I will have pix tomorrow night hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                  A 4k work order puts it 86-88. Which coincides with the jt6 era.
                  There are a few that have the trem pull up. If i remember what i read here, it was only one year that had it.
                  The trem pullup on this one was definitely NOT factory, it was originally a flush mount JT6
                  Thanks for the WO info, I figured 87-88
                  Last edited by Weezil; 01-22-2014, 10:07 PM.

Comment

I've read some models made for artists that endorsed Jackson had no numbers.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Does it have the ink stamp info grid in the trem route? If so 87-88.
                      The only ones I have seen that had the up pull route have been 1 hum soloists.I;m sure they made others with other pick up combinations.
                      During that time most had the Jackson after the nut string lock even if it did have an OFR on there.You will see some with the floyd nut too.
                      My 87 crackle super strat was marked OFR on the grid stamp so it was original to the guitar.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                        Does it have the ink stamp info grid in the trem route? If so 87-88.
                        The only ones I have seen that had the up pull route have been 1 hum soloists.I;m sure they made others with other pick up combinations.
                        During that time most had the Jackson after the nut string lock even if it did have an OFR on there.You will see some with the floyd nut too.
                        My 87 crackle super strat was marked OFR on the grid stamp so it was original to the guitar.
                        Yes it does have the grid stamp,only markings on the grid were "4044" and "Electric blue metallic"
                        It was an old-ass OFR with the threaded bar.
                        Pull up route was definitely done after the fact.

Comment

Could be a legit Ontario Custom.

as for work order #, both my 2006 Customs had 4-digits.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

By after the fact exactly what do you mean? We'll need pics of that.
                            They did do up pull routes some in 89 I've had a few.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Probably showing bare wood. Or rough paint that doesn't match.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X