Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a US Jackson from a long lost member

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've been here, but a question about one of my guitars has piqued my curiosity. I was talking with my oldest son about when my guitars were made, and when I went to the Jackson site to look up a serial number, I saw that the serial number is on an SD plate (a Jackson SD plate), but is in the 30xx range. This doesn't make sense to me. It also has a Jackson / made in USA neck, but with no serial # stamped in the fretboard. It doesn't seem like a parts guitar or something that was put together to be more than it was. I haven't owned it that long (4 or 5 years) and never gave it a thought until my son and I started discussing it. I'd love to hear thoughts about it.

-e-

Bolt-ons don't have a number stamped in the fretboard. That serial puts it to late 80s..
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

My Amir does (stamped SN), but it's much later (98). I didn't remember that the older ones didn't have the serial # stamped in the fretboard. It still strikes me as odd that the plate is SD.

Thanks for the info - it preserves my sanity a bit.

-e-

Comment

OK, I should caveat that a bit: bolt-ons with an 'all access' type of neck join (i.e. without a neckplate) often have serials stamped into the end of the board, but those joins are relatively uncommon.
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Why does an sd plate bother you?

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
            Why does an sd plate bother you?
            I don't know much about bolt-ons or San Dimas guitars, but I think he is referring to the fact that according to the Jackson site it is an Ontario serial number on a San Dimas plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
              I don't know much about bolt-ons or San Dimas guitars, but I think he is referring to the fact that according to the Jackson site it is an Ontario serial number on a San Dimas plate.
              Exactly that - since it is in the 3000 range, it seems awfully late to have an SD plate; can't imagine that they would have had them laying around for that long.

@Neilli - I have a custom shop bolt-on that has both a plate and a very lightly stamped SN at the bottom of the fretboard.

Comment

Factory moved. Business address did not.

Comment

I have 41xx sd.

Its an 87/88 - ordered it 87. Estimated for 87. Final inspection date of feb 88.

Comment

Welcome back Everett.. Long time no see.. I've seen Jackson "San Dimas" #'s up in the 7XXX range.. they had a BOAT LOAD of plates laying around with the "San Dimas" address..
                    John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonluvr View Post
                      Welcome back Everett.. Long time no see.. I've seen Jackson "San Dimas" #'s up in the 7XXX range.. they had a BOAT LOAD of plates laying around with the "San Dimas" address..
                      +1 If you think Jackson neck plates are confusing you guys should take a look at the old Kramer plates. Now that's a system that's totally f.u.b.a.r. Especially the plates that start with "B"XXXX Nobody knows a thing about them. Some people say some of them are imports and some are American made but nobody can say with 100% certainty.
                      Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-18-2014, 04:45 AM.
                      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I'm sure after they moved from Glendora to Ontario they found a box of SD plates that got lost in the shuffle. Either that or the factory that made their plates had a brain fart and temporarily lost them.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Great to see you here Ev!!

Wouldn't worry about that # on an SD era plate!!

Comment

Thanks to all for the great info! It's good to see some old 'faces' as well. I've learned so much and shared some great guitars with the members of this forum. It's great to be back! -e-

Comment

Originally posted by evconrad View Post
                              Hello all,
                              Hey bro... It has been a LONG time... EZBoard days were epic. lol

Hope things are well with you!
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X