Another tone-thread: Mahogany oiled vs gloss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another tone-thread: Mahogany oiled vs gloss

I own an oiled all-mahogany soloist. I used to own a all mahogany guitar with polyurethane finish. Do you guys think there is an actual difference in sound between those two finishes? Yes, there are a lot of factors that influence the tone, but let's say two identical guitars: all mahogany. But one is oiled and the other has a gloss finish. Would you hear it?

I for one, think there is a noticable tonal difference. Looking forward to hear your experiences!
    www.bodyfarmdeathmetal.com
    www.facebook.com/bodyfarmdeathmetal
    www.metalblade.com/bodyfarm

Same quality of wood in each? A poly finished guitar would use shit wood whereas a soloist would use premium stuff.

Comment

I don't know if I would hear difference. To say yes or no would be conjecture. The only way to test the theory would be to play the guitar with an oil finish, refinish it with poly and play it again. Even then I wouldn't concern myself with that level of minutiae.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
        I don't know if I would hear difference. To say yes or no would be conjecture. The only way to test the theory would be to play the guitar with an oil finish, refinish it with poly and play it again. Even then I wouldn't concern myself with that level of minutiae.
        +1 It's all subjective to the ears that are listening to it.
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Agree with Matt_B. The inherent differences in the wood of 2 identical guitars are much stronger than the differences in the type of finish. If you can hear a difference, it's most likely not related to the finish.

Of course, if you're considering the acoustic properties, then you'll hear a difference as sound waves bounce off the flat glossy finish better than the less-reflective oil finish.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Interesting :-) Offcourse you listen mostly with your eyes, if you know what I mean.
            www.bodyfarmdeathmetal.com
            www.facebook.com/bodyfarmdeathmetal
            www.metalblade.com/bodyfarm

Comment

Throw a set of EMG's in each one and instant identical tone
              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

True. EMGs + TripleRec + whatever the latest trendy booteek gain pedal will make all guitars sound identical.

And yes, I understand "listening with your eyes" - "ooh, it's pretty, it must sound awesome". The Halford Warrior looks like a trainwreck, but kicks tonal ass.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Having stripped and oiled a guitar I can tell your there is a slight difference. Not so much the tone but the attack and resonance seem more lively and loud.

Comment

Working...
                  X