Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a 89 strat 24

Hello everybody!

I am reading the forum for years, but not often write komments. Now I need help buying a guitar.

I have a chance to buy my first Usa Jackson. I think it is a Strat 24 from 89 with a strange graphic I never saw.

It is similar to the guitars in the 90-91 Jackson catalog. 24 frets neck with dinky body and offset dots. Strat 24 maybe. Can anybody tell me is this graphic and the secound knob original? The guitar now has seymour duncan blackouts, but before had EMG-s. The seller’s oppinion is the EMG-s were the original pickups, but he isn’t the first owner. The price is 1200 dollar. Is it worth it in your opinion? I love it, because it is similar a bit to the limited edition 88 Jackson guitar, which is on of my favorits. It has some wear but terrible, and the head seems perfect. Serial: 7019

Anyway I am searching for a Jackson reverse guitar from the 86-94 time period with sharkfin inlays. If anybody has one for sale, PM me!

Thank you!

its a Dinky not a strat 24, the graphic looks original the tone knob and 5way are in an odd position from what ive seen. I thought they were both further up closer to the Vol, but different eras had different placements maybe its correct.

Comment

Here is the picture from the 90-91 catalog. The strat 24 was a dinky with 24 frets. Just the name was "strat", I don't know why. Dinky name came later.

Comment

The neck is very similar to the limited edition 88 model's neck. Just no added scallop to 19-24 and no kahler nut.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
          its a Dinky not a strat 24, the graphic looks original the tone knob and 5way are in an odd position from what ive seen. I thought they were both further up closer to the Vol, but different eras had different placements maybe its correct.
          +1...I'd guess the tone knob was added maybe? The graphic is killer, and I haven't seen it before. As for the J/C catalog using a stock Dinky photo to show a "Strat-24", it's been discussed before and seems to be a mistake. Here is a real Strat-24 shape:

Comment

Thank you! If the hangtag is lost, is there any register where I can inquire what was her original electronics and pickups? Your strat 24 is very unique I saw it before. The serials are very close. Do your guitar have active electronic (Je-1000 or something)?

Comment

Originally posted by Kamolaci View Post
              Thank you! If the hangtag is lost, is there any register where I can inquire what was her original electronics and pickups? Your strat 24 is very unique I saw it before. The serials are very close. Do your guitar have active electronic (Je-1000 or something)?
              There were a variety of different pickups that went in these and it's probably impossible to know. I don't believe Jackson will reply to those types of inquiries regarding the vintage stuff with any useful information anymore.

Did you check inside the neck cavity on that? I'd be more concerned about the neck being original. It does look like a Limited 88 neck on there. What does the 12th inlay say?

Comment

It is Jackson on it. You can se it, if you enlarge.

Comment

I don't have a chance to see the neck cavity.

Comment

Hmm. Well I wouldn't worry about the pups, they don't affect the value that much. As you probably know the LTD 88's said "Limited Edition" at the 12th fret, so maybe it's original.

So I went over the Jackson catalogs again. Just to get everybody confused, here's the timeline of the Dinky versus Strat product naming debacle:
                    • [*=1]1986: 22-fret Strat appears without being identified
                      [*=1]1987 - 1988: 22-fret Strat is a "Strat Body", Dinky is a "Dinky Strat"
                      [*=1]1989: 22-fret Strat is a "Vintage Style", Dinky is a "Dinky Style"
                      [*=1]1990 - 1991 : 22-fret Strat is a "Strat", Dinky is a "Strat-24"
                      [*=1]1993 : 22-fret Strats appear under "custom options" without being identified, Dinky is a "Custom Dinky"
                      [*=1]1994: Dinky is a "Dinky Custom", Strats no longer appear at all
                      [*=1]
                    The 24-fret Strat like mine (and there are many others out there as well) is never pictured in the catalogs. My Stormy is an '89, but the hang tag just says "Strat Style". So, you could make a case that yours is a "Strat-24". I think it's a mistake but who knows. Things get worse if you go earlier than 1986 too, because Soloists become Dinkys and Strats become neck-thru. To make matters EVEN WORSE, there is a Strat/Dinky hybrid shape out there which is also referred to as a "Dinky Strat". :think:

Comment

Being "pro confused" is nothing to this!!

Comment

I worry about just the secound knob. If I know the original elektronics might get answers but it doesn' matter. I don't like EMG-s anyway, so I would put J 50 Bc or tb-4 in it.

Comment

It also gets confusing when i have an 87/88 bolt on. All factory papers refer to it as Strat.

And without looking to make sure, i think it also says
                          90c
                          j1200

which we all know as j90c and je1200

Comment

Here are the last picture I have. The seller will also include the EMG's that she originally came with. The guitar would come with original case that has three broken latches. Seller sad that the volume knob pulls out to add extra output from the Duncan in the bridge.
                            So the question is, should I buy this custom shop guitar for 1200 $? I am not an expert with prices. There are some risk, because I don’t have closer pictures.

Comment

My guess would its a fake/mutt.
                              The neck, right above the body. Is that mark where the
                              made in Japan
                              sticker should be?

Comment

Working...
                              X