Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will refinishing a USA Fusion lower value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone who just went through this, I say do what you feel like. If it plays great and you're comfortable with it keep it and make it your own (ie refinish it) BUT have someone professionally do it, don't do it yourself.

And don't refinish it black! Boooring! :P

Edit: Just realized its an original graphic, don't do it!!! haha

Comment

As an owner of a usa warbird fusion, I would leave it alone and hit one of the guys for a mij fusion body, or have one made and done up like you are wishing for, just my biased opinion
      >^v^<

Comment

That finish has a narrow market, and if you did eventually sell it, a solid, basic color like black, red, or white has the potential to attract more bidders, especially if it's refinished by a reputable shop.

However, there are still those who would argue that "aww, man, you ruined a great 80s finish, boo hiss it's only worth $350".

Strip it to natural, have it refinished, do whatever - it's still a USA Jackson, and that is the largest factor in its resale value.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          That finish has a narrow market, and if you did eventually sell it, a solid, basic color like black, red, or white has the potential to attract more bidders, especially if it's refinished by a reputable shop.

However, there are still those who would argue that "aww, man, you ruined a great 80s finish, boo hiss it's only worth $350".

Strip it to natural, have it refinished, do whatever - it's still a USA Jackson, and that is the largest factor in its resale value.

But his isn't a usa Jackson. Its a not even a graphic, its a stencil.

And I beg to differ on the sales adage of 'small market, small price'.
          If you're hurting for cash and need it gone today, yes, things like naked military women graphics or frets 12-24 scalloped (as on one of mine) are going to bring less cash because fewer want them. But if someone is looking for that stuff, they know the units are not available every day and will pay more. Quick sales are always for less cash. That's why auction houses put out advanced lists of items for sale. If you've ever wanted to own a *insert rare and unique term*, your chance is coming in 45 days.

None of this matters because he wants to play guitar, not make money.

Comment

If you're really worried about refinishing it, wrap it:

http://www.skinyourskunk.com/cool-guitar-gallery.html
            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
              But his isn't a usa Jackson. Its a not even a graphic, its a stencil.
              He says in the original post that it's a USA fusion. :dunno:

Also, I believe those graphics were done individually, not by stencil. Each one is a little different.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                He says in the original post that it's a USA fusion. :dunno:

Also, I believe those graphics were done individually, not by stencil. Each one is a little different.

My bad. I really thought we were talking about a machine produced import.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                  Goddamnit, you can never have enough guitars. Buy another one!

Keep the graphics. Use it for your gigs on army bases,
                  Like Spinal Tap.
                  "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Original USA Fusion.

Comment

Fusions do not come up that often, and while it's not rare per say, it is not one of those you could find at any time ( I personally own 14 of them in pretty much all paint jobs). Especially in this paint job, you might like it or not, but it's original and repainting it will devalue the guitar. Either get a new body - around $150-250 ( make sure it's for the short scale), or sell this one and get a cheaper version of a solid color, which could be a hassle, cause, as first sentence says - they do not come up that often.
                      Another solution - use guitar skin. Easy to apply, easy to remove.

Comment

Working...
                      X