Hi I'm new here with a new Ontario Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
    Tons of old Kramer's had slanted bridge pickups.
    I know a lot of Kramers had them, and I had a couple, but Jacksons rarely did that. It started with EVH and Kramer ran with it, since there were no pickups that were F-spaced at the time. EVH claimed he could hear a difference when the pole pieces didn't line up right under the strings; though, most people don't really believe the hype or hear much difference.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
      Tons of old Kramer's had slanted bridge pickups.
      yep.. had a focus 1000 and a striker st600.. slanted bridge pups

1st time I ever saw one with 2 humbuckers and the bridge slanted though.. usually you see a single humbucker that is slanted or a slanted humbucker and 2 single coils
      GEAR:
      #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
      #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
      #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
      #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
      #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
      AMPS:
      1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
      ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        I know a lot of Kramers had them, and I had a couple, but Jacksons rarely did that. It started with EVH and Kramer ran with it, since there were no pickups that were F-spaced at the time. EVH claimed he could hear a difference when the pole pieces didn't line up right under the strings; though, most people don't really believe the hype or hear much difference.
        I gotta go out on a limb and say I can hear the difference between slanted humbucker and straight humbucker. I can't say I have a preference one way or another, but to me the slanted humbucker is a bit thicker and fatter while the straight seems tighter and brighter. Both are cool.

Comment

Also, yeah I've seen the slanted humbucker on Kramers quite a bit. I would imagine if in the mid-late 80's when every USA Jackson was a custom instrument someone could order it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandenburg View Post
            yep.. had a focus 1000 and a striker st600.. slanted bridge pups

1st time I ever saw one with 2 humbuckers and the bridge slanted though.. usually you see a single humbucker that is slanted or a slanted humbucker and 2 single coils
            I've seen it before with 2 humbuckers, but you're right, it is even more rare. I still also have my Kramer 600ST, and it did play and sound decent for a plywood guitar, after I put in a DiMarzio X2N and a real Floyd in place of that crappy single-locking Floyd II. The guitar doesn't get used any more since the Floyd wood screw posts started leaning forward on the body.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Nice guitar dude....I like your tone as well...I don't see a whole lot of "strat" in that guitar.....lol :think:
              -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
                Nice guitar dude....I like your tone as well...I don't see a whole lot of "strat" in that guitar.....lol :think:
                Thanks man!
                It's just called a Strat because it's a bolt-on. The neck-thru's were called Soloist.
                It's definitely not a Strat in the traditional sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad View Post
                  Thanks man!
                  It's just called a Strat because it's a bolt-on. The neck-thru's were called Soloist.
                  It's definitely not a Strat in the traditional sense.
                  Yea...I guess I should have made my sarcasm more obvious .....lol....great guitar none-the-less!!!
                  -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
                    Yea...I guess I should have made my sarcasm more obvious .....lol....great guitar none-the-less!!!

Thanks man. I dig it. A LOT!

Comment

Now that you mentioned it the EVH thing with the Kramer guitars makes a lot of sense. I have an old Baretta and Pacer with the bridge pick up like that but I can't really hear a difference. Did or do you notice a difference T.J?
                      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Hey Vlad,

congrats to this very nice Jackson Strat and it's obvious that you know very well what to do with it! Some nice licks there. I'm happy that this one went to someone from the forum. I happend to be the original highest bidder but didn't realize that there was a third party involved for shipping that made an international deal extraordinally expensive. So the seller (very friendly) and I arranged to cancel the transaction and you got it then.
                        You don't see these unmodified Jacksons too often. Most of them have been floyded over the years and I've seen some very bad jobs. I'm currently working on one that has been molested in every aspect.
                        I think the JT6 isn't that bad at all, they're coming from the same manufacturer like the original Floyd and the Schaller-Floyd anyway. So I'd very much encourage you to leave it in original spec.
                        How about the frets? The seller said they were quite worn.
                        If you should ever get tired of it, I'd be happy if you let me know.

Comment

The guitar doesn't get used any more since the Floyd wood screw posts started leaning forward on the body.
                          Yeah that sucks, I've had to have that issue resolved before. My tech basically inserted some wood shims in the holes that straightened out the studs again. It worked pretty well. Another option of course is to install anchors, which is probably what I would do in the future.

Hey what's up Vlad, I'm the seller of the metallic black strat that you bought. I'm glad to hear it's working out well. I actually made a wussy bid on this one. It's the first Jackson strat I've seen with a slanty pup, and is a pretty cool color as well. If I wasn't in more of a selling mode I would have been coming after this full force!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            Yeah that sucks, I've had to have that issue resolved before. My tech basically inserted some wood shims in the holes that straightened out the studs again. It worked pretty well. Another option of course is to install anchors, which is probably what I would do in the future.

Hey what's up Vlad, I'm the seller of the metallic black strat that you bought. I'm glad to hear it's working out well. I actually made a wussy bid on this one. It's the first Jackson strat I've seen with a slanty pup, and is a pretty cool color as well. If I wasn't in more of a selling mode I would have been coming after this full force!
                            Oh Hey man!
                            That metallic black guitar is incredible! Practically new! I was working on a clip to post along with the pics of that one.
                            Yeah this blue one turned out to be a kick-ass guitar as well! Terrific condition. The slant bridge pickup seems to be original, but the neck was routed afterwards. It has a J90C in the bridge and a J95C in the neck. Both sound great!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamburger View Post
                              Hey Vlad,

congrats to this very nice Jackson Strat and it's obvious that you know very well what to do with it! Some nice licks there. I'm happy that this one went to someone from the forum. I happend to be the original highest bidder but didn't realize that there was a third party involved for shipping that made an international deal extraordinally expensive. So the seller (very friendly) and I arranged to cancel the transaction and you got it then.
                              You don't see these unmodified Jacksons too often. Most of them have been floyded over the years and I've seen some very bad jobs. I'm currently working on one that has been molested in every aspect.
                              I think the JT6 isn't that bad at all, they're coming from the same manufacturer like the original Floyd and the Schaller-Floyd anyway. So I'd very much encourage you to leave it in original spec.
                              How about the frets? The seller said they were quite worn.
                              If you should ever get tired of it, I'd be happy if you let me know.
                              Hi there!
                              Yeah the seller is a great guy and I spoke to him at-length about the condition of the guitar. He was very careful to provide full disclosure (as much as he knew since he wasn't the original owner) about the guitar. This guitar appears to have had the neck pickup added later on in life making it not quite original, but it's welcomed none-the-less since I tend to use the neck pickup quite a bit anyway. That said, the rest of the guitar appears to be original. As for the frets, they're in pretty good shape. I went over them with a crowning file lightly and the wear is hardly noticeable. There's no effect on the playability and this thing simply shreds! I thought about swapping out the JT6 for an OFR, but this one works great. No issues at all. So it stays.

Comment

Yeah it looks like they just put a standard pickup ring on there, and you can see where it is bowed and doesn't really fit. I'd try to score an original oversized ring and carefully re-drill for the wider pup ring screw locations. I'd offer to send you one except I'm not going anywhere near the USPS this week. At least you have an original covered pup to work with, although I don't think the J95C would be my first choice for a neck pup. I'd probably swap that out for a J50N as well.
                                _________________________________________________
                                "Artists should be free to spend their days mastering their craft so that working people can toil away in a more beautiful world."
                                - Ken M

Comment

Working...
                                X