Custom Select in the house..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Select in the house..

I know some folks had reservations, but I was pretty happy when Jackson announced the 'Custom Select' thing. I especially liked the quick turnaround which was promised, but also the idea of saving some cash while still being able to spec something one-off was tempting. And seeing if I could come up with something cool (subjective I know!) from a limited number of options, without it looking freakish had a big appeal. Sometimes too much choice is a bad thing...

I always liked a guitar Phil Collen used in the early 90s, but I could never really justify ordering a replica because it was pretty basic, but had enough stuff that would jack the price up when ordered as a custom shop (rev head, scalloped horn, birdseye board). But then along comes JCS so I started with a Sea Foam Green SL1 but went for a non recessed Floyd. Then added a matching colour rev head, maple board and an oiled neck. OK, it had to get quite a way from Phil's guitar, but the vibe was there. I did have a little bit of back and forth at the start because Jackson didn't want to do a 100% logo on a rev head, because either the trussrod cover or E tuner washer would cut into the logo. But I had opted for no trussrod cover and so it was agreed. OK, they didn't get it right first time, but they got it in the end, even if that did somewhat shit all over the quick turnaround. But hey ho... The only thing I need to look into is getting a pickup ring which matches the EMGs because right now it's a bit of an ugly clash.

It arrived today and I am really pleased with it. I didn't know if it was gonna be a half-way house to a CS guitar in terms of build, and it's been a long time since I've played a USA Select Soloist. But this is put together and feels every bit as good as my proper CS guitars. Very slinky feeling, which is great, and I'm looking forward to dirtying up that maple board! Anyway, here's the pics:

Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Nice one! I agree on the pickup ring. At first I thought I hated the white pickups, but when I read what you wrote about it I realized it was all the ring.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I do think the white EMGs are a little hard on the eyes, but it looks great all around and I do like the MOP sharkies on the maple

Comment

Congrats! Ian, but i prefer the white ring to black one, i think it matches white emg and maple fb

Comment

fuuuuuuuuck! That is gorgeous. Great work, Ian
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Wow, way to put the options to good use!
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Love the color, however the EMGs in white are a little 'MEH' !! Congrats!!
              Light Lies Trailer
              www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQC1CvcNQ6g

Six-Point Lead
              www.youtube.com/sixpointlead

www.myspace.com/sixpointlead

Comment

That is a delicious ensemble of options! Congrats!

Comment

Very cool.

Comment

I think the white pickups are a must on that guitar. Solid choice.

Comment

Very nice guitar!!! After reading all the spews on the white pick-ups, I do think the white pick-ups look great with the color, the logo, and the fret board. Now... I can't believe I am going to say this but... I could just see that guitar exploding with chrome hardware. It would flow so well with the overall scheme. The black just doesn't quite work in my eyes. Easy change but costly. Overall very nice build and dig the options you chose.
                      I like black and white guitars

Comment

Interesting!

The one color of Fender HM Strat's I still keep an lookout for to complete my collection

Comment

Very cool.
                          Looks good man.
                          >^v^<

Comment

Wow, those pearl inlays looks sick on the maple board!

Comment

I like the basic look but to my eye, there's a conflict in contrast. Either the pickups should be black or the hardware should be chrome.

Comment

Working...
                              X