No announcement yet.

Neck Back Profiles - Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest, I did not break it down coz I was not too worried about price. I created my detailed spec which I will share later, gave them to TMZ, they gave me a price (a damm good price) and I placed the order

Comment

They probably put the charge in there somewhere or cut you a break because you ordered two at one time.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Make sure you post those bad boys as soon as you get them. Ever since you told me about them I've been wanting to see how they turn out!
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

They should be done in a couple weeks, in assembly now

Comment

Sweet!!!!

Comment

The D profile with the flat spot on a neck-thru isn't specifically named. I think it's around 710-775... I posted a few caliper measurements of this type of neck a long time ago. Not sure if it was ezboard or here. This profile has made it on Custom Shop guitars starting in the late 80's and up to the mid 90's. It is fairly rare to find one. As far as I've experienced, it's almost never on USA Selects. It's fairly close to the late 80's early 90's bolt-on Dinky spec, but it's extended to the length of a neck thru whereas the dinky neck thinness ends before the heel. It is my favorite neck-thru profile. I love the old SD Strat profile slightly more though.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                The D profile with the flat spot on a neck-thru isn't specifically named. I think it's around 710-775... I posted a few caliper measurements of this type of neck a long time ago. Not sure if it was ezboard or here. This profile has made it on Custom Shop guitars starting in the late 80's and up to the mid 90's. It is fairly rare to find one. As far as I've experienced, it's almost never on USA Selects. It's fairly close to the late 80's early 90's bolt-on Dinky spec, but it's extended to the length of a neck thru whereas the dinky neck thinness ends before the heel. It is my favorite neck-thru profile. I love the old SD Strat profile slightly more though.
                It may be on a few old USA Selects and on custom shop models but no USA Select that I can find comes with that profile you've just posted (710-775)unless that's the Rhoads or PC 1 spec because I don't know their measurements. Jackson doesn't even have that profile listed. I am not saying it doesn't exist I am just saying I don't think it's a standard neck profile anymore. KV2's and Kelly's have the Speed Neck, Soloists have the Standard neck and Dinky's have the Dinky neck obviously. I have no idea what the Rhoads Model comes with neck profile wise but I'd love to know. I'd also like to know what guitars come stock with the "Classic" (735-825) profile. And what the hell the PC1 neck profile is measurement wise.
                Last edited by leftykingv2; 09-23-2013, 12:40 AM.

Comment

The ones I have on order are .700/.780 and that matches my MIJ XL PRO Soloist.

Jackson DID NOT want to build these. Tim from TMZ pushed very hard for me and they got Mike Shannon involved to agree to do it. New guitars have double acting truss rod and they take more room than the old single acting. Shannon routed a channel on the back side of the fret board to compensate.

I was planning on ordering a GMW also and Lee would not build me a neck this thin.

Comment

The PC1 and Rhoads are baseball bats...

Comment

Interesting.....
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

There's also the Mark Morton profile which is thicker than the PC-1 but not as round. It's kinda like a thicker speed neck, IMO.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The various models' neck dimension were listed out in the old catalogs. See 2002, for example.

The RR1 has the same profile as Soloists, not a bat at all. I believe PC1s are .835/.890

Comment

There is quite a bit of neck variance because it's done by hand. Awhile back, somebody posted a YouTube vid of Mike Shannon shaping a neck. I was surprised how "seat of the pants" it was. He was basically standing over a special belt sander of sorts shaping by eye if I recall correctly. Anybody have that vid?

Comment

Here is how he does it now (special shaper bit)

IMG_20130801_084944.jpg

Comment

The PC1 is 825"-890" the Rhoads is the same as the soloist 790"-850." Thanks for the Link Dave Rocks and Shreddermon!
                                Last edited by leftykingv2; 09-23-2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X