Hand made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand made?

Here is a question for everyone to chime in on. Exactly how much is the U.S.A Select line of Jackson guitars hand made? I know they use machines for some things but what things are they, and what things are done by hand? Also how much of a difference is there between a base model U.S.A Select and a masterbuilt model if you just go with standard specs? Better wood? More hand attention to detail? What is the big difference?
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

I can't comment on "Custom Select" but I just received photos of my 2 full custom's in the works and I am blown away by how much hand work is being done.

They certainly use machines: Bandsaws, shapers, etc but it's NOT CNC.

And I'm pretty sure all true CS's are being built by Mike Shannon or Pablo.... Mike Shannon is building mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rocks View Post
      I can't comment on "Custom Select" but I just received photos of my 2 full custom's in the works and I am blown away by how much hand work is being done.

They certainly use machines: Bandsaws, shapers, etc but it's NOT CNC.

And I'm pretty sure all true CS's are being built by Mike Shannon or Pablo.... Mike Shannon is building mine.
      Is Tim Wilson still working there? It would be sweet if you could post some of the pics.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
        Is Tim Wilson still working there? It would be sweet if you could post some of the pics.
        IIRC, someone said that he's no longer there - but I'm not 100%

Here is the only picture I'm willing to share at this time (until they are done).

Comment

No, Tim Wilson retired a few years back. Custom shop guitars are largely built by Mike, Pablo, Pat and (Red) Dave. They did some profile pieces on these guys a couple of years ago, which were kind of cool.

As to hand built vs. CNC - who cares? As long as it's built right. Even with a lot of CNC etc work, that just like cuts the "rough draft". The final stages are typically done by hand, custom shop or otherwise.

If you're just going with standard-ish specs, there's almost no reason to go with a full custom shop order. IMHO, that'd be throwing away money for no good reason.

Comment

Here is the pic, had a problem with the upload

Comment

A few moreIMG_20130801_084944.jpgIMG_20130805_063638.jpg

Comment

Awesome pics!!!! What models will they be when they're done?

Comment

Awesome pics!!!! What models will they be when they're done?
                  They are both soloists with similar specs. Different paint, different fret boards, different hardware color and logos but other than that almost identical. Some very cool detailed specs, subtle but deadly specs IMO. Very, Very thin necks!!

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                    No, Tim Wilson retired a few years back. Custom shop guitars are largely built by Mike, Pablo, Pat and (Red) Dave. They did some profile pieces on these guys a couple of years ago, which were kind of cool.

As to hand built vs. CNC - who cares? As long as it's built right. Even with a lot of CNC etc work, that just like cuts the "rough draft". The final stages are typically done by hand, custom shop or otherwise.

If you're just going with standard-ish specs, there's almost no reason to go with a full custom shop order. IMHO, that'd be throwing away money for no good reason.
                    Do you have a link or do you know where we can find these profiles? I have looked everywhere for interviews with these guys and really had no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rocks View Post
                      They are both soloists with similar specs. Different paint, different fret boards, different hardware color and logos but other than that almost identical. Some very cool detailed specs, subtle but deadly specs IMO. Very, Very thin necks!!
                      I'll bet they'll be tits when they're done!!!

Comment

Do you have a link or do you know where we can find these profiles? I have looked everywhere for interviews with these guys and really had no luck.
                        http://www.jacksonguitars.com/customshop/builders.php

There were more detailed profiles of each builder, but looks like that's missing from the website (non-working docs on the left).

Comment

Thanks man! Pretty cool.

Comment

From what I understand, only the neck blanks are CNC'd until they slightly resemble a neck, all the other work is done by hand. I may well be wrong about that...
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                              From what I understand, only the neck blanks are CNC'd until they slightly resemble a neck, all the other work is done by hand. I may well be wrong about that...
                              Speaking to that Xeno. Do you know if Jackson will do different neck profiles out of their normal options such as a 1959 Roundback LP profile? I don`t mind the Soloist profile, but the 1959 is about perfect for me. I will ask Matt as well, but just curious of you knew bro. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X