Help with paint touch up on '85 Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with paint touch up on '85 Soloist

I recently picked up this '85 Soloist, serial #1000, ordered as a "silver blue sunburst" according to the log books. It has a fair sized paint chip on the upper front edge that I'd like to touch up. I'm assuming Jackson used auto paint for their finishes, can anyone make any recommendations of touch up paint to buy? I'm hoping the color is still made and available in those little touch up bottles you can get at auto parts stores. Sorry about the HUGE pic.

Thx, Ethan

Can't help with the paint I'm afraid, but that's a great looking guitar..
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks man, I had a destroyed early Soloist years ago that had been stripped, neck cracked, etc. But it played and sounded like God.

So I've been trying to find a similar one. Can't say this one is like it exactly, but it's pretty clean, totally stock and plays great. It was pretty cool to find a Jackson listed in the log book too.

Ethan

Comment

Eh, that doesn't look too bad at all. I usually remove crappy touch-up attempts on the used guitars I buy.

Comment

Nice guitar, and we like huge pics.
          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Blue Sharpie will get 'er done.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Or mix various nail polishes to get the correct color.

After you do that and have it looking good (do it over and overr until you are happy), very carefully use thick super glue to try and build up the clear on top. Buy some super glue activator as well just in case you screw up and it starts running. This will stop it in it's tracks. But try to get away without using the activator if possible.

Once you have built it up and higher than the existing finish, take small files and grind it down. When you get close, take micro-mesh sanding pads to finish the job (purchsed at hobby stores, hobby lobby, Stew-Mac, etc). These pads start at 1500 and go up to 3000 I think?

After the sanding is done, go to rubbing compound. Finish up with Virtuoso cleaner and polish.

How do I know this? I've been busy fixing up a lot of my guitars lately. I actually have a Fusion Deluxe with a chip just like yours, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I've even been rebuilding tips of headstocks. Kind of looks funky having a tip that is clear like crystal (from the super glue drying).

Good luck. If you were close by I'd lend a helping hand, but I have no idea of where you are because your location is not in you profile.

Comment

Thats a nice one.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Most paint stores can scan the colour and find a match or a very close colour to it. Good luck, and very nice guitar!

Comment

Paint chip is the least of your troubles with that one - it's got a Kahler
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Love the blue and yes... Jackson uses polyurethane paint on most of their finishes. Tough as nails for the most part.
                      Matching the color isn't too hard, but blending the fade will be a bit of a pain.
                      You could contact Mike Learn and see if he could fix it up properly.
                      -Rick

Comment

Thanks for the tips! Don P's idea sounds very workable and I like the idea of getting the color scanned. A friend has a bunch of those bottles of auto touch up paint, most of which are metallic like the Jackson. I was thinking of buying the closest color and then mixing to match as closely as possible. Don, I'm in Orlando. I'll get my profile fixed up, I've been a member here for years but lost logon info and had to rejoin.

As far as the Kahler goes, I'm not hating it. I have an '87 Soloist with a Floyd and a bunch of other guitars so it's not like it's my main player. I'm going to work with the kahler a little bit. If they're good enough for Slayer they're good enough for me, I figure.

Ethan

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          Paint chip is the least of your troubles with that one - it's got a Kahler
                          LMAO!!!!! I hate those things too! Also the guys from Slayer shouldn't really be considered guitar players. More like noise makers. Their riffs are great but the soloing......Blah!
                          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

It looks like House of Kolor Oriental blue over Orion Silver
                            Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                            http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                              It looks like House of Kolor Oriental blue over Orion Silver
                              There you go....ask a pro! If anyone would know, Mike is the one!
                              "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Working...
                              X