Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early CS Rhoads?

Hey guys,

just got a trade offer, an alleged '86 CS San Dimas Randy Rhoads for my '89 pre-factory PRS Special and I wanted to ask if anyone had seen such a guitar here as I've never encountered with any early CS Jacksons. Here are a couple of pics attached, I'd appreciate any help as there's no CS logo on the headstock, the guitar has a natural finish and a Kahler trem, haven't seen any Jackson like this before. Thx!

IMG_0987.jpgIMG_0984.jpgIMG_0983.jpgIMG_0977.jpgIMG_0976.jpgIMG_0970.jpgIMG_0989.jpgIMG_0993.jpg

It seems legit, can you get the serial number? It's on the last fret on the fret board. Jackson did't install Floyd's on the custom orders back then unless they were supplied by the customer for the build. Also Jackson only made guitars to order back then so there was no Custom Shop. Every guitar they made was a custom order placed by someone.

Comment

Looks like it has had the paint stripped off rather than a natural finish, and those screws on the Kahler look a bit dodgy. Something about it doesn't quite look right, but I'm no expert. Best way to be sure, as Sharkfin said, is to get the serial number.

Comment

Looks to be whats called a student model. Rosewood board is usually the tell tale sign. But usually those had dot inlays instead of sharkies.
        It's pronounced soops

Comment

The rosewood isn't uncommon from those days. What does stick out like a sore thumb to me is the black headstock. Despite that though, looks legit from what I've learned and you can't go wrong with anything from that era.
          In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Headstock looks correct for a student model, has 3 o'clock tuners which were used in this era with the TM logo with the Made in USA underneath the n in the Jackson logo,

Sharkfins werent common on students but were possible as all jacksons prior to 1990 were customs, you could get a student with an ebony board if you paid the upcharge

The Custom shop logo didnt appear until the early '90s to distinguish them from the USA production models

Comment

The screws holding the Kahler down do seem suspect. It there a pic of the back of the guitar? Not sure how much a PRS special goes for but I know the early PRS guitar pull some big money.
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

What's the serial?

It's a student that's been striped. The sharkfins are a little odd / unusual / suspect, but otherwise it's student all the way. And a mint string thru student would be like $800 tops, so a stripped one with a kahler, swapped pickups and rings, non original case etc doesn't sound like a good trade against a PRS to me.
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thx for the info, the guy told me he couldn't find the serial anywhere on the guitar which is quite suspicious to me, also the Kahler's screws look suspicious so I think I won't go for this axe.

Comment

Yeah, run away from that one.
                    Popular is not the same as good
                    Rare is not the same as valuable
                    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I Have an '84 student and a bunch with factory J/Cs with kahlers. Nothing wrong with the headstock, same as mine and as noted, correct tuners (which is good). Those screws on the kahler are definatey wrong, but the nut/locking nut combo is definately correct. Also, more than likely had the factory paint stripped. Never say never when it comes to 80s J/C, but as was said, those sharks and the lack of an "RRxxxx" serial number present a problem and make that one worth a lot less than the owner would like at this point IMHO. Looks to me like someone worked and modded the guitar, stripped the finish, lost the kahler screws in the process and maybe had the fretboard worked on to addd the sharks and the luthier accidentially erased the serial number in the process if I had to bet.
                      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Seems definitely legit to me.
                        Students usually had rosewood, dot inlays and no binding but everything was custom ordered so it the 'Student' term was more of a guideline.
                        The screws aren't original but the Kahler is obviously the real deal. It has also definitely been stripped off of its finish. Regarding the serial number some guitars that were built by Jackson's employees for themselves sometimes did not have serial numbers.

Is it worth money wise against the PRS? I don't think so.
                        Is it a kewl guitar? Hell yes!

Comment

Worth an even trade? No way IMO.Nice RR yes indeed.
                          Kahler screws are wrong yes a student RR,No serial means employee made guitar in most cases.one pick up may be original but the bridge one I think has been changed
                          Like to see pics of the back.
                          I suspect he thinks its worth a lot of money because he really doesn't know a lot about Jacksons.
                          Big difference in a factory guitar and an employee guitar as far as value.
                          Have him take the Kahler off to see what my be written in the cavity.May have some of the original paint left in there and some pencil markings ie date and W/O number because there is a chance its a factory guitar that made it out without a serial number.
                          Last edited by straycat; 07-05-2013, 05:32 PM.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                          X