No announcement yet.

Shock at Custom Select delivery times.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock at Custom Select delivery times.

Hey,
    I don't post here much, but i am always lurking in the shadows reading the different posts. Yesterday I was reading that Shreddermon got two custom select guitars within the space of about 4 months of ordering them!! I was just wondering how this can be possible when i ordered my custom shop warrior in January of 2012 and still have and ETA of late July at the earliest?

I realize that the custom select models are only "minor changes", but the delivery times on these guitars compared to normal custom shops is ridiculously fast. The order i placed in January 2012 was pretty much a standard USA warrior with a reversed headstock, different control layout, kill switch, custom inlay on 12th fret, with Nebula graphic and matched headstock. I gotta say it's very frustrating when i place an order 13 months before someone else, and yet still have to wait 6 weeks longer (at a MINIMUM) after they have received their guitar to receive a guitar which has only minor changes from a standard WR1.

Next time i order a CS it will definitely be a SELECT one.

Nebula finish would make it a full CS order, would it not? Either way, I for one am looking forward to pix of your order when it arrives.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Custom Select guitars take a semi-custom approach to builds. They're mostly production guitars, with a limited number of available custom options. Pre-built blank batches, waiting for the options to be done for final builds. My understanding is they're more like Fender "team built" custom guitars. So they can be built faster, more like USA Select production guitars. Full custom shop orders (like your's) are more like Fender's "master built" customs. They're true one-offs, where basically only one master builder does each guitar. Since there's little in common with other custom shop orders, these can't be done in semi-production batches. They're done one at a time. And, hence, they're done on a completely different schedule - much longer. ...I don't think those descriptions are totally accurate for each and every guitar done, but it's reasonably close to get the gist of it all, as far as process and builds. Bottom line: different build processes and teams = different build times.

All that said, I suspect I got lucky with the build times for my Custom Select orders. I have a feeling not everyone will be getting their CS's as quickly. Probably some will, some won't. Just like custom shop orders.

And, oh by the way, I've got a full custom shop order that's approaching the two year mark soon. I know about dealing those wait times, myself, too.
      Last edited by shreddermon; 06-23-2013, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Cheers for the info, Shreddermon. Another one? you must order these things for fun!

Comment

One the purposes for creating the custom select line was to indeed cut the build/wait to 3-4 months. That's what was explained to me at NAMM back in Jan. looks like they're making it work. Congrats to all who are starting to see their new Jacksons arrive. There is nothing like the feeling of knowing your new Jackson is about to get delivered to you
          Last edited by roodyrocker; 06-23-2013, 09:44 AM.
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by lkgwarrior View Post
            I gotta say it's very frustrating when i place an order 13 months before someone else, and yet still have to wait 6 weeks longer (at a MINIMUM) after they have received their guitar to receive a guitar which has only minor changes from a standard WR1.

Next time i order a CS it will definitely be a SELECT one.
            Yes, it is absolutely not fair that a cheaper Custom Select wait time is a few months compared to two years for a real CS, especially for those who placed orders for custom guitars that could have been done with the new Select option. That's just how things are.

Neither of my custom orders resemble anything you can get from Select, so the wait doesn't bug me so much.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Dude, I have an Extreme Warrior that's been on order since early 2011. Yours is on a faster track than mine

Comment

My Custom Select is getting delivered tomorrow, about 3 weeks late from the 4 month estimate. I would guess that the first batches will be near the estimate, but it wouldn't surprise me if as the Custom Selects get more popular, that they will take longer to build.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  Yes, it is absolutely not fair that a cheaper Custom Select wait time is a few months compared to two years for a real CS
                  Well yes and no - using that argument, it's not 'fair' that the Custom Select options are so restricted compared to a real CS. But yeah, it would suck if you'd ordered a CS a year or so ago that has specs that would now be covered by JCS.
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Really, when Jackson first launched the Custom Select line they should have looked at every build in the Cshop pipeline and any that could be covered by Cselect options and then contacted the affected customers to see if they approved switching the build option or not. That would have a good side effect of clearing up some CS backlog.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Maybe they did?
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I don't know if they did or didn't, I'm just saying that it would be a good idea to do if they didn't.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                          Well yes and no - using that argument, it's not 'fair' that the Custom Select options are so restricted compared to a real CS.
                          No, that doesn't work. The most commonly requested custom features can now be obtained without a long wait and for a cheaper price. There is no win for the custom shop customer, only win for the custom select customer.

But yeah, it would suck if you'd ordered a CS a year or so ago that has specs that would now be covered by JCS.
                          Most custom orders are only slight alterations to standard models. Not many people go crazy with features.
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by lkgwarrior View Post
                            pretty much a standard USA warrior with a reversed headstock, different control layout, kill switch, custom inlay on 12th fret, with Nebula graphic and matched headstock.
                            Er, I wouldn't call those "minor changes"

Also, I was wondering how long after the Custom Select threads showed up until we saw this type of post. Answer: not long

Them's the breaks, kid. 1st world problems, etc.
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                              All that said, I suspect I got lucky with the build times for my Custom Select orders. I have a feeling not everyone will be getting their CS's as quickly. Probably some will, some won't. Just like custom shop orders.

I'm getting lucky too.
                              http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X