Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the reasoning behind angled humbuckers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the reasoning behind angled humbuckers?

My '95 RR1 has Bill Lawrence stock humbuckers and they are angled but not like its higher on the high e end then low on the low e side, no.

These buckers are angled so the side closed to the bridge is up and the side towards teh neck is angled down, whats the reasoning behind this? I'm interested to know what its suppose to do for the tone.

cheers

p.s. its angled like how the non-recessed charvel model necks are angled.
    USA Jackson RR1
    Charvel Model 6
    Jackson Performer-2
    Orange Dark Terror
    EVH 5150 LBX
    Hello Senòr

Do you mean that the pickup bezels are cut at an angle? If so, that's to try to get the pickups parallel to the strings (nut to bridge) to compensate for the angle the strings run across the body..
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

You probably have angled pickup rings if this is the case... or the wire coming from the humbucker is pinched underneath the edge of the pickup...

You can usually fix them by putting a small piece of foam under the side that is lowest to even them out...
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Unless it's a Custom, Rhoads hums should not be angled.

If you're referring to angled like the 90 Warrior Pro pickups, EVH Kramers/Barettas, etc, EVH basically started that by direct-mounting a hum into a Strat bridge route, which was slanted.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Just had a look as i posted that very late at night, its got angled pick up rings.

Someone else i know on here also has a 95 RR1 with the exact buckers.
          USA Jackson RR1
          Charvel Model 6
          Jackson Performer-2
          Orange Dark Terror
          EVH 5150 LBX
          Hello Senòr

Comment

Is the trem top mount versus routed out? It's a little odd if the trem sits in a route to have the beveled pickups because the neck angle is typically less than if it's a top mount or string through TOM.

All that really matters is that the pickups are parallel to the strings. If the aren't you can do the foam thing or swap out the rings for flat ones.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I'm not clear on what he is saying how about a pic?
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Ah, ok, angled rings. Typically those would go on an arched top like an LP, not a flatty like a Rhoads. Probably all they had on hand.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i had a 96 RR with those Bill Lawrence and it sounded amazing , if anyone wants to sell them let me know i want to try them on my 89 RR Custom

Comment

OK I see just the rings I have had some Jacksons with flat and some with angled so I guess its whatever they have on hand.
                    You can't be serious asking the tone question.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

My 94ish Rhoads EDS with Bill Lawrence pups had those same angled rings... just changed em' out to flats. BTW , weren't these built as "Rhoads Customs" before the official RR1 designation came into existence?
                      “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

It was just Jackson being cheap and not putting the right pickup rings on. When Jackson started recessing their Floyds in 1990 and got rid of the angled necks, they were still using the old supply of angled pickup rings that were designed for angled necks. If you look at almost any early to mid '90s Jackson or Charvel, you'll see the same thing.

Comment

And like I said in my first post, fixing the angled pickups is relatively simple and easy... put a piece of foam under the side that needs to be raised... or replace the pickup rings if they're standard sized, which is not always the case...
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

you're not supposed to notice. It's the secret to Jackson's mojo. That indescribable "something" when you plug a Jackson in. But now that you've exposed this industry secret, I'd be keeping an ear on your front door. The Jackson Special Forces may be paying a visit to your home shortly. I just hope you see this response before they delete it & disappear you.
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                            X