SL1 serial info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL1 serial info

Got a burnt cherry sunburst SL1 a few days ago. the guy I bought it from said he bought it new in 2007 but according to some other serial threads I saw around here its seems it was build in 2003/4.
    The serial is U13715. can anyone confirm the build date. thanks.

In the other thread Johnnyryche mentioned that U11521 was made about Sept 2002.

I've got U14804 that was made Nov 2004. So for those 14 months they made 3283, so about 235 per month. That would put yours Jun/July 2003. Of course averages aren't going to be very accurate, so the month is probably wrong, but it is probably safe to say it was in 2003.

Hopefully Johnnyryche will stop by to give you a better estimate from his list. His list is based on actual build dates of actual guitars so it is much more accurate than just taking an average by month.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
      Hopefully Johnnyryche will stop by to give you a better estimate from his list. His list is based on actual build dates of actual guitars so it is much more accurate than just taking an average by month.
      But still good info, and I'll predict you are pretty close.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I've got U14804 that was made Nov 2004. So for those 14 months they made 3283, so about 235 per month. That would put yours Jun/July 2003. Of course averages aren't going to be very accurate, so the month is probably wrong, but it is probably safe to say it was in 2003.
        Averages don't always work from what I've seen but they can get you close. I've seen a few USA Selects where their serial #s were less than 10 apart yet their completion dates differed by 3 weeks or more. Maybe guitars just get completed in batches. But those execptions seem to be rarities and for the most part the numbers and completion dates are consistent.

That being said, I have another guitar in my log that is only 9 #s earlier from your soloist and that was completed in early Feb. 2004. So it's pretty safe to say yours is an early 2004 model, probably with a February completion date.

Comment

Yeah, using averages over that long a span is helpful, but not always accurate.

That's why I always defer to your list.

Comment

In the other thread Johnnyryche mentioned that U11521 was made about Sept 2002.

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
            Averages don't always work from what I've seen but they can get you close. I've seen a few USA Selects where their serial #s were less than 10 apart yet their completion dates differed by 3 weeks or more. Maybe guitars just get completed in batches. But those execptions seem to be rarities and for the most part the numbers and completion dates are consistent.

That being said, I have another guitar in my log that is only 9 #s earlier from your soloist and that was completed in early Feb. 2004. So it's pretty safe to say yours is an early 2004 model, probably with a February completion date.
            Thanks a lot for the info guys! I will post some pictures after I clean her up...

Comment

After a good cleanup and setup, here are some pictures...

With my 87' Model 6 Charvel

Comment

Great pics!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

How is the neck compared to model 6? Thicker/thinner?
                  what pickups do you use in model 6? I see this is a duncan hum with 2 dimarzio mini hums.
                  Last edited by goshac; 04-06-2013, 05:37 AM.
                  Don't drink & drive if you can smoke & fly!!!

Comment

Love your guitars!
                    Gear

Jackson KV2 Blue Ghost Flames
                    Jackson DK1 Lightning Sky

http://youtu.be/QgffP2mRU5w
                    http://youtu.be/WYEEje1M3hQ
                    http://youtu.be/UfhVSt5LtrI

Comment

Both look really nice!!
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Great looking soloist! Love the model 6 also. Nice pair.

Comment

Nice flame on that soloist!

Looks great, congrats.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by goshac View Post
                            How is the neck compared to model 6? Thicker/thinner?
                            what pickups do you use in model 6? I see this is a duncan hum with 2 dimarzio mini hums.
                            The necks thickness feels pretty close but I don't have the tool to measure it precisely. the last upper frets are way easier to reach on the Jackson since it has the shallow heel-less construction. the fretboard width is about 1mm wider on the Charvel.

The pickups on the Charvel are Duncan Distortion TB6 (bridge), Dimarzio Fast Track 1 (Middle) and Dimarzio Chopper (neck).
                            The pickups on the Jackson are the stock Duncans (2 Classic Stacks and a JB).
                            Both guitars sounds different both plugged and unplugged. on the clean side I prefer the Jackson, it has a more balanced sound with stronger and clearer highs. the Charvel is the opposite of that, it has a lot of low mids and softer highs, its missing the top end the Jackson has. with distortion the Charvel sounds like an 80's hair metal monster both for riffing and soloing, I just love it! the Jackson's stock pickups sounds nice with distortion but simply doesn't have enough power for my taste and will be changed ASAP.

Comment

Chopper in neck with Duncan distortion in bridge? But is the Distortion not too hot to be paired with chopper?

it was the same story with a 1989 charvel 650XL and a 1992 soloist pro. they both were dark and kinda dull sounding. i think it is because of poplar wings. i replaced a lot of pickups on both of them but i wasn't satisfied with the sound, it was always too dark. Also the charvel had not so comfortable neck - thicker with bigger shoulders, soloists neck was fantastic. the story ended with selling both of them.
                              My current 2004 SL-1 cherry burst has a stronger and more open acoustic sound. now i'm also thinking of changing the pickups. there is an Air norton S in the neck & Paf pro in bridge
                              Last edited by goshac; 04-07-2013, 03:37 AM.
                              Don't drink & drive if you can smoke & fly!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X