Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inlay material differences of the Jackson logo and fingerboard inlays??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inlay material differences of the Jackson logo and fingerboard inlays??

Does anyone know if the Jackson Logo inlay is a different material than the fretboard shark fins? My Jackson logo seems to have a way different color range in the light than the shark fins do. The shark fins are very beautiful and by no means are they ugly. The logo is just different.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

USA logos can be mother of pearl, abalone, gold painted, white silkscreen... a few were made in sterling silver as well.

Mother of pearl and white silkscreen are the two most common.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

If yours had a wide range of colors it could be abalone. Inlays should be mother of pearl.

Comment

The MOP logos on my two DK1s seem to have a lot more figure (I guess you could call it?) and the color variation is very uniform compared to the inlays.

Comment

Uniformity, especially when comparing logos vs sharkies can be very inconsistent. Sharkies usually tend to match well, but not always.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
            Uniformity, especially when comparing logos vs sharkies can be very inconsistent. Sharkies usually tend to match well, but not always.
            Looking at my guitars, the Jackson logo is 2 distinct MOP pieces; -Jacks- and -on-. On every one of them Either -Jacks- is more "pearly" than th -on- or vice versa. Why??
            “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Because they used two different pieces of the shell for the logo? No two pieces are uniformly the same in figure.
              Two guitars are better than one.

Comment

Why? Because it's a natural product and no two pieces are the same.

Comment

I've noticed this as well. The inlays on my SL2H stay a consistent "color" while the logo goes full-blown rainbow under the light. I likes it.

Comment

Never mind. Brain and light were playing tricks on me.
                    Last edited by len; 12-10-2012, 03:41 PM.
                    “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Keep in mind that the logo is a very thin slice of MOP, while the inlays are much thicker, so naturally they will look a lot different.

Comment

I always spec abalone logos. They look the best, especially when you add a border color.

Comment

What is the deal with sterling silver , is it just another newer option, is it cheaper than MOP, or are they just trying to offer a wider variety.

Comment

I would think that sterling silver is more expensive than Nacre. Especially now days with precious metals getting more and more expensive. You can get 11 square feet of nacre for about $100.00 bucks.
                            Last edited by leftykingv2; 09-30-2013, 05:47 PM.
                            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
                            X