Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the Jackson equivalent to a Charvel San Dimas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Jackson equivalent to a Charvel San Dimas?

Hey guys,
    I recently got a Charvel San Dimas after being a long time Les Paul player, and holy moly, I LOVE the charvel...it's so neck is awesome and the fret access beats the Les Paul, hands down. So now, I'm kinda looking at Jacksons...what Jackson do you guys recommend considering

- I love the charvel neck and jumbo frets
    - Looking for a strat body shape
    - 22 frets if possible, but not a breaker
    - Thinking USA, but Japan made is ok, I guess, I lean to US made just in case I decide to sell the guitar in the future.

Just from osmosis, it seems like the soloist might be up my alley? Not sure about the neck tho...but it does look like the set neck gives alot of fret access...

Thanks in advance!!

Jackson Stratheads are pretty rare. I think it was either Tim Wilson or Mike Shannon who was asked how many they had produced. From 1986 to 2002, the guestimate was around 60 factory built Jackson Stratheads, if I remember correctly. There were a lot of Jackson Strathead replacement necks sold, some with logos some without, all had the Jackson logo burned onto the heel. These are far more common to see around. They're called 'woodburn' necks. This was probably done to distinguish replacement from factory. Even those don't show up often.

You can get a Jackson Adrian Smith model, there is a USA Artist Signature Series model out there as well as a Made in India version that they just released. There are also Jackson Phil Collen models. I haven't played the new PC Stratheads and I haven't played the AS model, so I can't tell you if the profile is similar to the 80's guitars. The volute and headstock shape changed slightly sometime after Fender purchased Jackson.

I have no idea if the profile is similar to the 80's strat necks.

If you're just looking for a pointy guitar with strat type body, you want either a Dinky (bolt-on) or Soloist (neck-thru). These are fairly easy to find, either Custom, USA Select, MIJ or MII.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

In the old days, there was the "Jackson Strat". For a time, there was also the Jackson Fusion. Those havn't existed for quite a while, so the closest thing you'll find to a traditional strat under the Jackson branding would be a Jackson Dinky (24 frets), Jackson PC1 (also 24 frets), or Jackson Adrian Smith sig (pretty much a Charvel San Dimas with Jackson logo, and H/S/S config.)

This is just my humble knowledge however, I'm sure the Jackstorians will chime in shortly.
      Last edited by Whoopu2; 08-21-2012, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Guys, not the strat HEAD, the strat body style...

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog808 View Post
          Plenty to choose from out there. Just go out and buy one. Axewielder was sucking up a bunch.

They don't go for much ($600-$900) because they are HSS, dot inlays, rosewood fretboards. Late 80s usually.

Watch ebay, GC used, go to pawn shops, Sam Ash, etc.

Comment

When you say the strat body style, how do you feel about size?

The soloist & dinky are 7/8 size of the strat, so they are smaller, and a little different shape. If you would accept one of those, it opens up your options a lot with Jackson. There are a lot more of those out there than actual Jackson strat bodied guitars.

If you mean the actual strat shape, your options are more limited with Jackson, but the above suggestions cover it pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog808 View Post
              Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
              If you're just looking for a pointy guitar with strat type body, you want either a Dinky (bolt-on) or Soloist (neck-thru). These are fairly easy to find, either Custom, USA Select, MIJ or MII.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Jackson pointy necks generally won't feel like his Charvel. If you want that feel, the Adrian Smith would be closest.
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. As for the strat body, something close to it, I just tried to say that to encompass no stars, RRs, etc.

I know jack about jacksons...right now only dinkys and soloists are models I've heard of.

Comment

The soloist isn't set neck, it's neck through body. You should definitely try one. The upper fret access is beyond most set neck designs because there's no "joint" where the neck meets the body. The Dinkys are cool too, but if you primary goal is smooth upper fret action then you definitely will get that with a soloist.

To keep as close as possible to the Les Paul tone look at the SL2H-MAH models.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      Plenty to choose from out there. Just go out and buy one. Axewielder was sucking up a bunch.

They don't go for much ($600-$900) because they are HSS, dot inlays, rosewood fretboards. Late 80s usually.

Watch ebay, GC used, go to pawn shops, Sam Ash, etc.
                      You rock DonP

but not all strat 80's strats are HSS/rosewood-mine is HH/ebony, bet Axe has a few as well.
                      “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

This in the closest to a San Dimas Charvel you can get as far as feel in a Jackson IMO.
                        SD plated Jacksons are the tits.Full sized strat body and SD shaped neck.

Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Get a soloist....unless you just play rythm guitar.
                          Jackson KV2
                          Jackson KE1T
                          Jackson KE1F
                          Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by len View Post
                            You rock DonP

but not all strat 80's strats are HSS/rosewood-mine is HH/ebony, bet Axe has a few as well.
                            Len,

Is that your white #1? I hope you were able to keep it. It was gorgeous.

Comment

straycat, what model are those jacksons? Also, what makes soloist's so...special/coveted/expensive over other jacksons?
                              Last edited by alphadog808; 08-21-2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X