Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA Select Production Being Scaled Back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was talking to someone who 'knows' the CS setup, and he was agreeing with my comments that part of the problem is that they spend so much time / effort twice a year building guitars for NAMM which nobody has actually ordered. Personally, I'd be more than happy if they said that they'd expedite my build if they could show the guitar at NAMM, and I'm sure others would feel the same, as long as the guitars were looked after. That way the NAMM production 'bubble' could actually help the customers the show pieces are designed to attract instead of hindering them.

On top of that, they spend a load of time on 'dealer runs' like all those TMZ vintage spec soloists. There are no established customers for any of the guitars, but the CS still devotes loads of time to them, while actual personal custom orders sit in the background. I guess from a logistic standpoint, maybe it makes sense to run 40 'pseudo custom' guitars in one go, but in terms of servicing the demand, it's counterproductive. Plus then the dealer (and market) is flooded with them.

I'm not sure what the output of the CS is, but I have RRs delivered 2.5 years apart and their serials are 38 different. So be generous and say that's 20 RRs a year. Add to that the J serials and a few bolt ons, and maybe 200 CS guitars a year. And let's approximate that they make approx 30 guitars to cover the two NAMM shows. That's 15% output just for NAMM. Not massive I agree, but then add other 'orphan' builds, and the dealer runs and it starts looking a little silly (to me at least).

Then every time a dealer visits, Shannon will loose a whole day showing them around and then lunch / 'follow-up' i.e. drinkies. Which is great and I'm sure it's a lot of fun, but at the same time, if they're understaffed, loosing your main guy every time a dealer rep. visits isn't ideal (not trying to cut into Mike's beer time now though LOL).

As an aside, Suhr's build times were up to a year or more. Now apparently they are asking on every order if it's for an actual customer, and if it is, the guitar is bumped up the production queue.
    Last edited by neilli; 08-09-2012, 03:29 PM.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Really those limited runs, since they are similar should be perfect guitars for a senior builder to supervise and assist a less experienced luthier while they work on the 'one-off' builds. Have the Shannons and Santanas do the final go/no go's on them to satisfy the shops desire to have their contact.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
        I wonder how many people here won't order a custom just because of the wait time.
        That's the main reason for me.

Originally posted by neilli View Post
        Personally, I'd be more than happy if they said that they'd expedite my build if they could show the guitar at NAMM, and I'm sure others would feel the same
        Absolutely.
        Get the guitar quicker, and have it displayed at NAMM? Sign me up!

Comment

What they should do is something like the chopper companies do at motorcycle shows. Have a few bolt on bodies and necks roughed out and build/sell them at the show, have Mike Learn in their booth doing live paint, stuff like that.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
            I wonder how many people here won't order a custom just because of the wait time.
            I fall in that camp.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
              then add other 'orphan' builds, and the dealer runs and it starts looking a little silly (to me at least).

loosing your main guy every time a dealer rep. visits isn't ideal.

Don't forget to mention artist relations/builds where prototypes, new production setups, new contracts, 'replacement guitars', promotions, can throw a whole new wrench in the already squeaky machine

You know when the NAMMs are coming, but dealer ltd runs or artists dropping in are much worse for making a good production schedule
              Last edited by Nightbat; 08-11-2012, 10:00 AM.
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Look at it this way guys... Jackson could hire a bunch of new luthiers and train them, but would you really want a $4k+ guitar rushed? think of the build quality.
                Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

:think:

If it takes 10 guys 2 years to build a $4k guitar
                  and it takes 20 guys 1 year to build a $4k guitar

.....where's that rush you mention?

Also: with the current pressure of the backlog of the CS breathing down their necks, don't you think the luthiers at jackson already are rushing guitars out of the shop?
                  wouldn't having more hands available relieve pressure, enable them to give more attention to a guitar than currently is possible?

Sure it will take a little time to train new people, which will slow down production for a few months, but if you hire people with previous experience, within a year it's already possible to decrease the backlog
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I keep putting off going to luthier school. Maybe my favorite guitar company could hire me to help in the CS if I ever go to that said school.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonkellyfreak View Post
                      Look at it this way guys... Jackson could hire a bunch of new luthiers and train them, but would you really want a $4k+ guitar rushed? think of the build quality.
                      Um... who even implied Jackson should hire a "bunch of new people"? What do you think, they're going to go to the strawberry fields or to Taco Bell and hire some people on the spot? I don't think Fender would have a problem finding 2 or 3 highly skilled luthiers looking for work in this economy.

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                      Also: with the current pressure of the backlog of the CS breathing down their necks, don't you think the luthiers at jackson already are rushing guitars out of the shop?
                      wouldn't having more hands available relieve pressure, enable them to give more attention to a guitar than currently is possible?

Sure it will take a little time to train new people, which will slow down production for a few months, but if you hire people with previous experience, within a year it's already possible to decrease the backlog
                      Jackson CS is batting 0/2 with my previous orders. I'm not alone. What's that one guitar that had to be redone like 3 times? Both of my orders would have been exactly like that if I had that kind of patience.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

it's not just jackson; bernie rico's wait times are 2 years or more. i think alot of businesses are fearful of expanding their labor force because of the political climate in washington.

Comment

Working...
                        X