Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information on My Jackson

Hello,

New member saying hello and was looking for some information on my guitar. I purchased new in 1990 and have had it ever since. Dan Lawrence (GMW) painted the pile-o-skulls graphic. I believe it as a USA made Fusion but would like someone with more knowledge than me to tell me for sure. The neck plate is Made In USA, guitar serial number is 000061 and the neck plate has 4452 Airport Drive Ontario, Ca 91761 USA.

I have the original middle pickup but the neck and bridge have been replaced, Seymour Duncan JB in bridge and a hot rail in the neck position. Floyd Rose is a Made in Germany Schaller, plays and sounds fantastic, original case and owners manual.

Can anyone tell me more about this guitar?

Thanks,

Not sure what else to tell you, it is a fusion, and that serial definitely places it in 1990. You probably already know that it is 24 3/4 scale.

Does yours still have the JE1500 hooked up to the mini toggle switch?

Also, where did you get the matching painted pickup cover? Did yours come with painted pickups originally? I've had a bunch of fusions over the years, but none had painted pickup covers from the factory.

Very cool guitar. I always liked the fusions. The only Jackson bolt on I have left is a fusion (also painted by Dan Lawrence).

Comment

Yeah, its a '90 USA Fusion

nice one!

Comment

The fact that the pickup is painted indicates it was not a normal USA Production, but the serial number indicates it is. Also, that particular graphic wasn't being painted until later than 1990, around 93 or 94. And that is interesting, because judging by the font in the Jackson logo on the headstock, it does not appear to be an early 90's logo, but rather the one that became normal around 1994. My bet is that the neck is not original to the body, and that it was made later. Have you unbolted it to inspect for markings/dates in the neck cavity of the body and end of the neck? Cool guitar either way.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

By the way, that case was not in use in the early 90's, but became the normal case issued starting around 93/94...

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
            Not sure what else to tell you, it is a fusion, and that serial definitely places it in 1990. You probably already know that it is 24 3/4 scale.

Does yours still have the JE1500 hooked up to the mini toggle switch?

Also, where did you get the matching painted pickup cover? Did yours come with painted pickups originally? I've had a bunch of fusions over the years, but none had painted pickup covers from the factory.

Very cool guitar. I always liked the fusions. The only Jackson bolt on I have left is a fusion (also painted by Dan Lawrence).
            Thks for the info / comments. Mini toggle is now wired to the neck pick-up, coil tap, Dan Lawrence painted the guitar and the pickup covers.

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
              The fact that the pickup is painted indicates it was not a normal USA Production, but the serial number indicates it is. Also, that particular graphic wasn't being painted until later than 1990, around 93 or 94. And that is interesting, because judging by the font in the Jackson logo on the headstock, it does not appear to be an early 90's logo, but rather the one that became normal around 1994. My bet is that the neck is not original to the body, and that it was made later. Have you unbolted it to inspect for markings/dates in the neck cavity of the body and end of the neck? Cool guitar either way.
              Thanks for the information, I have not unbolted the neck. My wife purchased the guitar for me around 90-91 time-frame (if my memory is still any good). You mentioned the font on the headstock, can you elaborate (how was it different 1990s logo versus the one from around 1994)?

You obviously have a great deal of knowledge, any idea what my guitar is worth these days? Doubtful that I would ever sell it, belongs to my son now, just curious what there going for?

Thanks again for all of the information!!

Comment

Originally posted by BabylonFalls View Post
                Dan Lawrence painted the guitar and the pickup covers.
                I guess I should have asked if that is the original paint job on the guitar (with painted pickups) or did you send it to Dan after you got it?

I didn't notice it, but like Joe said, that graphic wasn't used in 1990, so that plus the painted pickup cover makes me think re-finish, but I've been wrong many times

Comment

It sort of sounds like the OP is hinting that he had it painted by Dan after purchase.

Stock USA Fusions go for $600 - $800. I'd add another $100 - $200 for the custom paint job.

I think the value of the guitar could be kicked up higher if a J200 is stuck in the middle and both pickups painted bu Dan as well to match the rest of the body.

Comment

From the Spring of 1990 until about 93/94, the mother of pearl Jackson logo was "dark" and had a less defined sharpness to it than did the one that came after. The mid 90's logo was a "brighter" mother of pearl, and was more sharp in appearance. The modern logo, which had been in use since about 96 or so, is actually larger, the "J" in Jackson is much more pronounced, the mop is bright and sharp. Does that make sense?

But the guys are on to something, was the guitar originally with that graphic, or was it something you had done later?

Comment

Hey Joe,

I was actually going to ask you about the logo difference.

The logo looks time correct to me, but you know a lot more than I do. His looks like it has the more pronounced channel between the stem of the J and the curl, the c that points down instead of toward the k, the fatter s, the rounder o, more definition between the o and the n (instead of a straight line), and sharper edges on the sweep of the n.

What am I missing?

(top photo is a 91 logo, bottom is an 02)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Ward; 07-05-2012, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Hey Joe,

I was actually going to ask you about the logo difference.

The logo looks time correct to me, but you know a lot more than I do. His looks like it has the more pronounced channel between the stem of the J and the curl, the c that points down instead of toward the k, the fatter s, the rounder o, more definition between the o and the n (instead of a straight line), and sharper edges on the sweep of the n.

What am I missing?

(top photo is a 91 logo, bottom is an 02)
                        Logo placement varies from guitar to guitar. MOP logos are applied by hand and the "MIUSA" is silk screened by hand, so placement of them varies as well...
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I get that placement would vary, but all my early 90s MOP logos have a certain shape to them (detailed in my post above) that is different from the shape of the late 90s and more recent MOP logos that I have. The original poster's pics match the shape of the early 90s logos I have, not the later ones, regardless of placement.

Again, I'm just going by what I see, but the shape of the logo looks like early 90s to me.

Comment

I get that placement would vary, but all my early 90s MOP logos have a certain shape to them (detailed in my post above) that is different from the shape of the late 90s and more recent MOP logos that I have. The original poster's pics match the shape of the early 90s logos I have, not the later ones, regardless of placement.

Again, I'm just going by what I see, but the shape of the logo looks like early 90s to me.
                            Yes, I understand. And, yeah, logo shapes, as well as styles varied too. I don't think you can specifically date a guitar just by the logo unless you're comparing trademark vs copyright, and there seems to be at least a couple guitars that throw that rule out as not being perfectly strict.

You could order MOP/abalone with shaded logo as well.

In case you didn't notice, the shaded logo is thicker so it doesn't look skinny when the shade is applied. It's more apparent when you see them in person.

Separated by a year:

Last edited by xenophobe; 07-06-2012, 12:56 AM.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Did Dan sign and date the graphic?
                              Do the original singles have the matching paint too?
                              Pulling the neck off would answer more questions.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X