Robbin Crosby's Double Rhoads/King V question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robbin Crosby's Double Rhoads/King V question

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered, but I can't find it. From what I've learned from Hellraiser and Sully's posts, Robbin Crosby's white "noskcaJ" (J4632) King V and successive V's are bigger than the later (Mustaine-era) V's. I think there is even a picture on this site showing a King V with flame graphics over a Robbin-sized King V that I've seen. My question is: what is the name/model (or was it even an "official" model) of Robbin's King V's? Were they Double Rhoads? Were they Custom Shop models just for him? I'm not 6'5 like RC, but I think the larger V looks better proportionately. I'm so confused:think:

Basically, was Robbin's King V-size offered as a production guitar or only a custom for him?
    Last edited by AIC70; 06-19-2012, 06:21 PM.

The double Rhoads is a custom order only body style, and has never been a regular production model. However, there were two 'batches' of custom double RRs made - the JCF02 Big Red run and the 25th Anniversary guitars.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by AIC70 View Post
      Were they Double Rhoads? Were they Custom Shop models just for him? I'm not 6'5 like RC, but I think the larger V looks better proportionately. I'm so confused:think:

Basically, was Robbin's King V-size offered as a production guitar or only a custom for him?
      Originally Double Rhoads, and first made for Dave Linsk long before he was in Overkill. Word is that Robbin was in the J/C factory one day, saw Dave's Double Rhoads in for repair and wanted one. Since Robbin's nickname was "King", they started calling it the King V. The V has since been downsized twice... a medium V and then the smaller one we know today.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

And then there's XXX's Big As Fuck Custom V.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Originally Double Rhoads, and first made for Dave Linsk long before he was in Overkill. Word is that Robbin was in the J/C factory one day, saw Dave's Double Rhoads in for repair and wanted one. Since Robbin's nickname was "King", they started calling it the King V. The V has since been downsized twice... a medium V and then the smaller one we know today.

Now I REALIZE that the above synopsis has been the 'conventional wisdom' over the last 10+ years but I DO NOT believe it to be true.

I have been told by THE GUY (Glenn Matejzel) WHO COMPLETED THE FIRST ONE at the factory the day Robbin picked it up, that......Robbin's 'Big White', J0139 was the very first Double Rhoads built and was ordered by Robbin as THE FIRST ONE.

His idea, his vision.

this story was confirmed by a couple of other original C/J employees to be the case.

Also...for what it's worth Robbin always maintained to me that it was his idea and that he received the first one.
          Last edited by Hellraiser6502; 06-19-2012, 08:21 PM.
          Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

OO

Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
              Now I REALIZE that the above synopsis has been the 'conventional wisdom' over the last 10+ years but I DO NOT believe it to be true.

I have been told by THE GUY (Glenn Matejzel) WHO COMPLETED THE FIRST ONE at the factory the day Robbin picked it up, that......Robbin's 'Big White', J0139 was the very first Double Rhoads built and was ordered by Robbin as THE FIRST ONE.

His idea, his vision.

this story was confirmed by a couple of other original C/J employees to be the case.

Also...for what it's worth Robbin always maintained to me that it was his idea and that he received the first one.
              Interesting. I thought it was confirmed that Dave's blue/black bengal Double Rhoads was done before Robbin's. I can't remember what the serial number on that one was, though.

Comment

Linsk's Rhoads had an RR serial AND it was 20 or so serial numbers behind THE SECOND Double Rhoads....Robbin's 'Big Red'

Also to correct the 1st post in this thread Robbin's 'nosckaJ' KIng V, Serial number 4632 and also his colored Dragon Serial 4594, are BOTH BOLT-ON King V's of the smaller size Dave Mustaine later became known for playing....I don't think I've ever seen any other San Dimas/Ontario BOLT-ON King V's.

Glenn Matejzel has a shop work log that has MANY of the very earliest Jackson guitars on it...some kind of 'Rush/needs to be completed ASAP' list that has J0139 and a few other famous Jacksons on it. I'm sure he will let me copy this and I will post it when I have it. That should put the historic discrepancy to rest once & for all.

Vivian Campbell's J0006 'Lost Les Paul' is on this same list.
                Last edited by Hellraiser6502; 06-19-2012, 08:59 PM.
                Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Just looking at the cs log scan on audiozone.dk seems to support Hellraiser's logic. There aren't many V's, pointy V, Crosby V's, etc. but of what is there, all make referrence to Robbin Crosby, even if the customer box shows the guitar going to a music store.
                  Hellraiser - Also to correct the 1st post in this thread Robbin's 'nosckaJ' KIng V, Serial number 4632 and also his colored Dragon Serial 4594, are BOTH BOLT-ON King V's of the smaller size Dave Mustaine later became known for playing....I don't think I've ever seen any other San Dimas/Ontario BOLT-ON King V's.
                  This makes sense to me. Thanks! I love learning about these guitars and their history!!
                  Last edited by AIC70; 06-20-2012, 09:44 AM.

Comment

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Last edited by RD; 07-02-2012, 10:52 AM. Reason: ADDED MORE PICS
                    USA Doublerhoads Custom Shop
                    USA King V Custom Shop X Series

Comment

weren't there a couple of "KING V / double Rhoads" like guitars made for Vic Vergat prior to Robbin's? they may have even been Charvel logo'd IIRC, i know they were neck thru & floyd'd tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        And then there's XXX's Big As Fuck Custom V.
                        Well, that's the one i'm ordering!
                        Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                          weren't there a couple of "KING V / double Rhoads" like guitars made for Vic Vergat prior to Robbin's? they may have even been Charvel logo'd IIRC, i know they were neck thru & floyd'd tho.
                          The Vergat Vs were smaller; kinda like taking a roundhorn and making it pointy. Here's an old thread with some pix (you can see Dave Linsk's V as well)
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                            The Vergat Vs were smaller; kinda like taking a roundhorn and making it pointy. Here's an old thread with some pix (you can see Dave Linsk's V as well)
                            Where's the link?

Comment

Double Rhoads are puny. Tiny puny guitars.

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X