Ripping out a PC1's sustainer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripping out a PC1's sustainer

I'm thinking pretty hard about getting a PC1, but I'm not in love with it's pickups. Am I crazy to want to take out its sustainer system? I want a neck PU that's huge sounding (semi hollowbody-esque) and good for legato. I also want the bridge pup to be more PAF-ish. Has anyone ever done pickup swaps on PC1's? Is there a way to get other dimarzio PU's into the single coil spaces (dimarzio's have this little plastic nub that stick out.) Does anyone have PU recommendations? I want Alex Lifeson, Paul Gilbert and Wolfmother tones out of the same guitar. What PU's should I use?

I used a dremel to cut out for a Dimarzio pup. http://s994.photobucket.com/albums/a...ent%3D0010.jpg
    You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

i have. i put a JB in the bridge, gutted the sustainer and put a dimarzio HS3 in the neck. instead of dremeling the body, i just cut the front tab of the pickup. i used nail clippers. it was very easy. after i got most of the tab off, i used a razorblade to trim the rest. everything works great. i wired it all to a volume pot and a 3-way blade. i have an unwired, fake pickup in the middle position, lowered all the way down.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Just remember to sell me the sustainer.
        -Rick

Comment

I don't think you're insane at all. It's your guitar, if that's what you want, so be it. If you wanted a cock dragon or an octopus having intercourse with an asian female on it, then we might run into some problems

Comment

I have two PC1's and love the Sustainer but I also thought it would be cool to have one without the Sustainer. I was lucky enough to find a PC1 neck on Ebay awhile back and had a PC3 Au Nat body to mate with it. Perfect fit! Threw a JB in the bridge, Classic Stack in the middle and Hot Rails in the neck and it sounds killer. I'd definitely suggest doing it if that is what you want to do but I'd caution you to hold onto that Sustainer system just in case you ever decide to sell the guitar down the road. It might be a deal-breaker for someone wanting a PC1.
            Good deals with:
            Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

i'll tell you, the PC-1 sounds SOOOOOO much better to me with that circuitry out. you can "hear" the wood more. when the sustainer was still in there the guitar always sounded truncated....notes were choked and the guitar's natural tone was pretty crappy. pulled that bitch out, and my PC-1 went from being a studio novelty to my number one player.

i kept all the parts in a plastic bag for later - though i have had the guitar so long that it isn't going anywhere...
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

You can get Dimarzio SC sized pickups without the front tab by special order. It's real easy, only takes a few weeks. I've done it a few times already. Just work through a good authorized Dimarzio dealer, and it should be no prob. I think is was like a 10 buck upcharge or something. Very reasonable.

I'm pretty sure Duncan does this, too, but I have no direct experience doing so with them.

Comment

I think you're on the right track myself. Rip that crap out and be done with it. I almost bought a DK with a sustainer but I really dislike active pups and onboard circuitry and I thought the better of it. It seems like a cool toy but I think I'd tire of it quickly. I imagine you lose something to gain the sustain, and besides I never had a problem getting sustain and feedback anyway.

PC1s are nice guitars I'm sure, but to me they are what I would have spec'd on my dream guitar when I was 14 years old. Too much! Too many doodads that distract from real tone and real playing. I hate thick necks too, my tele has one and let me tell you it sucks!

Comment

Contemplating this myself. I never use the sustainer and it loads down the bridge pickup...
                    ---RCM78
                    >>>I'm Fucking Rich!!!<<<

Comment

The PC1 has a thick neck compared to other Jacksons and Ibanez but the PC1 I own I would not consider thick. I prefer the PRS Wide fat next and it does not feel fat to me. Older Gibsons and even some older Fenders have fat necks. It depends on what your used to... just my opinion... the PC1 neck is pretty average in thickness profile.

Hell if you guys dislike the PC1 sustainer so much dont throw it in the trash send it my way

I love the tones and the sustainer however I do see where others would not like it. for me it's a perfect addition to agreat guitar and opens up and complets how expressive a guitar can be. I'm a huge Lynch and Sykes fan too so yeah I like sustain

Comment

I agree that the sustainer adds a tonal change to the guitar but it also opens so many possibilities to your playing. Used with the floyd the possibilities are endless. You can over do it but its a great feature if used sparingly in a very high quality made guitar. I still love my PRS Custom 22, and my Ibanez Artist 77. All very different guitars with very differnt sounds.

Comment

Just let me know when you want to get rid of it. I've been wanting a sustainer for a long time.
                          Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Working...
                          X