Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK1 Natural vs SL2H Natural

Hello everyone
    I am new to the forum, although I have been reading it for a while.
    I have a question, I prefer the neck on a DK1 to a painted neck, although I have never tried an SL2H, I know that I dislike painted necks in general. My question to you guys is this: The SL2H Natural neck looks either to be unfinished or just a gloss clear coat. Has anyone who has played one compare the two for me please? I do realize that it all comes down to preference, but I would have to make a 4+ hour round trip to get to a store that would have both in stock for me to compare.
    Thanks in advance for any and all replies, I look forward to spending time on here with you guys

The SL2H will have a gloss neck.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post

I guess what I am asking, is if the gloss on the SL2H Natural's neck will feel more like the oiled neck of the DK1, or feel more like a painted neck on a regular SL2H?
      Thanks for the help, I have owned a DK1 before, and loved the overall feel of the guitar, I think I would just like to have an SL2H for the "neck through" factor, but if it comes down to having a painted neck or not, I would rather choose the oiled neck over the neck through.
      If that makes any sense to you guys LOL

Comment

It will feel just like a regular SL2H.

Now, if you are feeling up to it, you can modify the SL2H so you get the best of both worlds. I've heard of people sanding the gloss off and oiling the neck, or you could do something less drastic like this:

Comment

Based on your description, and after owning several DK1s and SL2Hs myself, I think you'd like the DK1 neck better. It is not painted, and has the slick oil-finished maple feel... that the SL2H doesn't. Even the natural mode feels painted and plays like it. The DK1 is also a slightly slimmer neck profile, and does play a bit faster than the SL2H (hard to believe anything plays faster than the Soloist necks... but the DK1 does by a hair).

Go for the DK1.

Comment

Both of you guys thank you!!!!!
            MetalDaze, I have really thought about doing that, like what Zakk Wylde did to his LP's back in the day. Only I never trusted myself not to screw it up LOL! It really is something I have been struggling with. I know the necks are different, and I really do love the DK1's neck, my only real thought that I might prefer the SL2H's neck more, is that there is much less wood in the neck of the SL2H after the 17th-24th fret area, as opposed to the DK1's neck joint area. But on the other hand I am afraid, if the need ever came to have to sell it, it would be near impossible to sell it O_o
            Thanks Wizard of Ozz, you probably are right, I would love to have both, but right now I can only afford one...thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post

Actually the music zoo sells a soloist natural that is similar to the charvel series. They are oiled, not glossed. Sadly I had this idea last year and went through Matt for one, Jackson shot me down saying that the zoo had exsclusivity so they lost the sale.
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by BenC View Post
                I guess what I am asking, is if the gloss on the SL2H Natural's neck will feel more like the oiled neck of the DK1, or feel more like a painted neck on a regular SL2H?
                You never feel the actual paint on a neck anyway since there is a clear coat over it. You can use some steel wool or scotch brite pads and lightly take down the gloss to a matte satin finish which will feel closer to the oiled feel of the DK1. It will turn back into a shiny gloss over time, but you can always buff it back down.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have to say go for the DK1. I picked up a cherry burst DK1 a couple months ago. Amazing guitar. I can't tell you how much I love the oiled neck. Not only is it probably going to save you a couple hundred bucks compared to the SL2 but you don't have to worry about modifying it to get what you want. I've seen some pretty bad hack jobs of people sanding down the neck on their soloists, not worth it to me.

Comment

Hmmm, kill the value of a soloist or keep the value of a DK1?

Comment

Originally posted by decadence5423 View Post
                      I have to say go for the DK1. I picked up a cherry burst DK1 a couple months ago. Amazing guitar. I can't tell you how much I love the oiled neck. Not only is it probably going to save you a couple hundred bucks compared to the SL2 but you don't have to worry about modifying it to get what you want. I've seen some pretty bad hack jobs of people sanding down the neck on their soloists, not worth it to me.
                      Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      Hmmm, kill the value of a soloist or keep the value of a DK1?
                      Thats my biggest worry, ruining the neck in an attempt to make it more like the DK1. Jackson really should come out with a permanent SL2H oiled neck version. I would buy one in a heart beat. For arguably the "cream of the crop" shred guitar, why it has a painted neck in the first place, I will never understand.

Comment

Originally posted by BenC View Post
                        Thats my biggest worry, ruining the neck in an attempt to make it more like the DK1. Jackson really should come out with a permanent SL2H oiled neck version. I would buy one in a heart beat. For arguably the "cream of the crop" shred guitar, why it has a painted neck in the first place, I will never understand.
                        They already have. Plenty of custom shop runs with this "feature".

I prefer the painted neck.

Have you looked at the new MIC Charvel Neck Thrus? They all come with an unpainted neck.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          They already have. Plenty of custom shop runs with this "feature".

I prefer the painted neck.

Have you looked at the new MIC Charvel Neck Thrus? They all come with an unpainted neck.
                          No, I haven't...I will right now though, thanks!! I also wasn't aware of the "special runs" thats what I get for not being a JCF Member sooner!

Comment

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic: But is it the Charvel Desolation Soloist you are speaking of? They are like $700?.....Those couldn't possibly be on the same level of the SL2H though O_o
                            Might be on my radar in the future though

Comment

I haven't paid close attention to the new Charvels (the MIC thing) but it sounds just like what you are looking for. A shop in Mufreesboro TN that I went to last night was fully stocked with them. They don't seem bad, but I just prefer the older USA and MIJ stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X