NGD-98' Mike Shannon Soloist BGF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD-98' Mike Shannon Soloist BGF

Got this Friday. 1998 Mike Shannon Soloist , SHS is what they call it, pickups changed to EMG's.

Sweet guitars man \m/

Comment

Cool pair! Gotta love those Shannons...
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
        Cool pair! Gotta love those Shannons...
        Agreed!

Comment

Awesome, congrats!

What are the differences between say a standard SL1 and the "Shannon Soloists"?

Comment

Originally posted by Whoopu2 View Post
            Awesome, congrats!

What are the differences between say a standard SL1 and the "Shannon Soloists"?
            Main difference is that the neck is angled and the trem is non-recessed, as per early-mid '80s soloists, also the logo is white rather than MOP, and i believe the heel is cut differently, more bulky than the later models

Killer score man!

Comment

Also poplar wings instead of alder and binding over fret ends along with old school neck heel.

Comment

Also poplar wings instead of alder
                Does anybody know how it sounds compared to alder wings ?
                Guitars: Jackson KE-1, JRS-1, SL-1 / Charvel 750XL / Gibson Les Paul Standard

Comment

Originally posted by HOTRIFF View Post
                  I've found poplar guitars to be heavier than alder ones (in my experience) and just thicker sounding. More like a bright crunchy Les paul with more mids and brightness. I loved it enough that I might consider getting another CS guitar with it.

Comment

Does anyone know when they switched the wings on production soloists from poplar to alder?

I've got a 91 soloist and I was told they were poplar wings back then, but I don't know if there is any accuracy to that.

Comment

Originally posted by HOTRIFF View Post
                      poplar wings arent nearly as spicy as alder wings.
                      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                        Does anyone know when they switched the wings on production soloists from poplar to alder?

I've got a 91 soloist and I was told they were poplar wings back then, but I don't know if there is any accuracy to that.
                        I've heard ~1995-96 since the price of poplar got more expensive than alder.

Comment

In that case I agree with you. I have always thought my 91 soloist sounded thicker than the ones I know are alder.

By the way, sorry to sidetrack the thread. That is an awesome pair of ghost flames!

Comment

The Shannon Soloists are nice guitars! The only downside is the weak Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge, otherwise they kickass! I see yours arleady had EMG's installed which fixes that problem Congrats!
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                            X