USA Soloist sounds a little weak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Soloist sounds a little weak

Hey guys...hoping you might be able to provide me with some opinions. I've got quite a few guitars in my collection these days...a very varied bunch. One of my favorites is my Jackson SL2H Soloist. This is a beautiful guitar in transparent blue with the chrome hardware. It's one of those instruments that you like to look at as much as play. So with that said, I have to be careful if I want to do any modifications. I don't want to change the look of this guitar too drastically (as silly as that may sound to some of you)

This guitar came stock with a JB/59 Duncan combo...as pretty much all USA Jacksons do (or at least most). I've noticed that with this particular guitar, the output is a little weak. Not a ton of sustain, and high gain seems a bit weak, even when the volume is wide open...which is surprising, considering the neck through design and the JB....I've used JBs for years, and recently had one on a Charvel USA pro-mod (just sold BTW ...but I've never used a guitar with a JB and felt like it didn't have enough power or output. Recently, I've started using EMGs in a few of my guitars...and I know...a lot of folks seem to either love them or hate them. I'm in the love category. Some might say that I'm getting used to the power of an active pickup, and am comparing that to a SD JB. This is not the case. I've got guitars equipped with various Gibson, SD, Dimarzio and Bareknuckle pickups..all passive. None of these guitars seem week or like there's not enough power. Just this Soloist.

In any event...I just happen to think that in this case, the JB isn't the right pickup for this guitar...at least not for me. I play primarily through headphones, so while some might think a JB has plenty of power, keep in mind, I hear subtle differences in pickups much more clearly than if I were playing at high volume through an amp. So here's where I'm at. I either want to put a set of EMGs in my soloist...OR...I've heard some good things about SD Blackouts. I'd certainly love to hear your opinions on those as well (I'm sure the EMG vs. BO has been beaten to death here). Or the easier, and cheaper option for me is to put another SD pickup in the bridge. I don't care about the neck , as I rarely use that pickup...so it's really only the bridge that I'm interested in anyway. I don't like the Duncan Customs..I've had two guitars over the years that were equipped with the customs and they never did it for me... and I eventually swapped them out. Basically, I want a good all around high gain pickup. I'm certainly open to staying with a passive pickup in this guitar...but I need something with more bite than that JB...considerably more bite. Duncan Distortion? Full Shred? I do want to stay with SD if I just do a passive pickup swap in the bridge...(once again...mainly for aesthetic purposes)...

I really appreciate any opinions you might be able to give me.
    Thanks guys!

Todd
    Todd M

Although its not a Soloist, I found the same problem when I changed the Kent Armstrongs for a JB Jr and Hot Rails. Nowhere near as much drive and umpfh. Had to start from scratch programming my amp and FX. I would suggest in your case an Invader/Full Shred combo or Blackouts.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I have duncan distortions in all of my soloists, it's my favorite pickup. It is a JB on steroids, it has a lot of bite, and cuts through very well. If you want actives, instead of a Blackout, or I'm assuming an EMG 81, go with an EMG ALX, (Alexi Laiho's sig. pickup) It's a passive emg hz h2 with an active gainboost (also a 3 band eq) it's modeled after the J-50 BC & JE-1000 gainboost. Also, you mentioned Bare Knuckles, maybe a Ceramic Nail Bomb. Check out a Lace Deathbucker, and Lundgren as well.

Comment

That’s primarily been my issue with the JB; its inconsistency. Some are magical, some are kinda lethargic. I know that they’re popular and are an OEM choice, but I’d try a different pickup. I’ve had great luck with the Custom (SH 5/ TB 5), and while it’s got lower output than a JB (it’s between a 59 and a JB), I am never disappointed with the amount of gain you get out of it, while maintaining the clarity.

Sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

+1 on the Custom. It kills in my RR1T and was great in my Charvel Model 5 as well. (I did change it out in the M5 for Blackouts but that was just because I wanted a guitar with actives.)
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I have 15 guitars with JB's in them, they all work great. not a dead one in the bunch. So I cant verify the inconsistancy that someone mentioned. this is a hard issue to diagnose, as the JB just might not be the pickup for you. which is cool, that is personal preference. I happen to love the JB, but thats for me and my style of music. now, as for the lack of output it has for you, perhaps there is a weak ground somewhere? perhaps one of the pots its funky and its bleeding more signal to ground?? perhaps its a dirty jack? those are things you can check. the JB is one of the hotter passive pups on the market, so it should have plenty of "oompf" but maybe something is causing it not to. but it all depends on your ear, the style of music your playing, and hte amp too.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

yep, in my hamer V and wayne the JB sounds great, i had one in a bich didn't like it at all same thing with an ST-3 i had, that guitar now sounds killer with a screamin demon.

Originally posted by sully View Post
              That’s primarily been my issue with the JB; its inconsistency. Some are magical, some are kinda lethargic. I know that they’re popular and are an OEM choice, but I’d try a different pickup. I’ve had great luck with the Custom (SH 5/ TB 5), and while it’s got lower output than a JB (it’s between a 59 and a JB), I am never disappointed with the amount of gain you get out of it, while maintaining the clarity.

Sully

Comment

I felt the same way about the JB in my SL2H, then a friend recommended that I desolder that white wire to the tone knob. It made alot of difference in output and brightness in my opinion. Worth a try?

Comment

for my tastes...nothing makes a soloist come alive like a duncan custom...d.m.
                  http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I've had one Soloist, an SL-1. Played like magic, but sounded kinda dead.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr View Post
                      I felt the same way about the JB in my SL2H, then a friend recommended that I desolder that white wire to the tone knob. It made alot of difference in output and brightness in my opinion. Worth a try?
                      that is a great idea. that could solve his problem.
                      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Bareknuckle Painkiller.
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

I've got a Jackson with WJBS (Weak JB Syndrome). It's the damndest thing. Two JB guitars side by side, both Jacksons, pups at about the same height, and one has a strong signal and one is weak. I need to check the volume pot on it, and make sure it's 500K. You should do the same. I don't think a 250K pot would be a good choice with those.

Comment

Wow...I didn't expect this many replies...particularly from those who claim to have the same problem.
                            I can tell you, I've used JBs for years and this is the first bummer. I've even got a jb jr in my strat and it sounds killer.
                            i do appreciate all the suggestions...at the end of the day today I found myself at the local Sam ash....doing something I didn't think I would do...I bought a set of emg's. I've developed a real fondness for these pickups over the last few years, so I'm gonna take the plunge with this guitar now. I just picked up a Suhr Pro Series loaded with emg's and I love it...so this has sort of swayed my vote as well.
                            im sure this will give me the output that I want, if it doesn't sterilize the cleans a little...no biggie.
                            If anything, I think the only thing that might bother me is (gasp) how these things will look in this guitar. I know how silly that sounds...but as I mentioned previously, this thing is a looker...I don't want to sterilize its looks as well. I guess I could always switch back to passives if these don't do it for me...my only problem is that I'm no guitar tech...so I have to pay for it when I want work done.
                            Anyone have a transparent blue soloist with chrome hardware and emg's.
                            Anyway..thanks again for all the replies...i appreciate it. I'll make sure to post the results.
                            Todd M

Comment

If you like the old school vintage JB's... That Warren, evh thing...
                              I developed a floyd specific bridge pup with Jim at WCR pickups.
                              Called the murkat special. average output is 13.8k, choice of mags and colors.
                              Not alot of gain, let the amp do that, but the note def and harmonics are off the charts.
                              Very volume knob and tone knob friendly. Not listed on his site, have to ask for it.
                              I do not get anything out of it, just good Floyd tone.
                              >^v^<

Comment

Working...
                              X