Please help soloist layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help soloist layout

Hi everyone, I plan on placing the order for a custom soloist soon, but for the past few days I've been driving myself crazy about the control layout. The standard soloist's layout affects my playing with the knob being so close to the bridge pickup. I want a layout with 2 volume knobs and a mastertone with either a 3 way toggle or 3 way blade. Thanks for your help in advance.

Check out the layout on the KV2. It should be V V T with the the blade your looking for. If you like that then just order a soloist with that layout. The key is being so clear on what you want and what your ordering. In my experience this is where the custom shop screws up the most. Good luck
    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Also check out the SL2H-V. I think Music Zoo has that one(?). The V stands for vintage spec and the ad said the controls are moved about 1" away from the standard location so you won't bump them with your picking hand. I've never had issues with the control knob in the standard location on my Jacksons but if you do, there you go, this Vintage spec thing might be what you're looking for.
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

make a template?
        >^v^<

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
          Also check out the SL2H-V. I think Music Zoo has that one(?). The V stands for vintage spec and the ad said the controls are moved about 1" away from the standard location so you won't bump them with your picking hand. I've never had issues with the control knob in the standard location on my Jacksons but if you do, there you go, this Vintage spec thing might be what you're looking for.
          Now thats a great idea. I never knew that was an option.
          "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

I've found the perfect layout. Just transfer to an actual soloist.

Comment

I second Richard W's suggestion - save for the EMGs (use passive high-outputs and the sharkteeth) and the paint scheme - let's have a Crackle Jackson ! Are you geddin' it?
              "Hey man, it's better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool!"

My Jacksons/Charvels:
              '91 Jackson® (MIJ) Professional Limited Edition Phil Collen Sig Archtop in Black
              '91 Jackson® USA Kelly KE-1F (FLOYD!)
              '89 Jackson® USA Phil Collen Archtop in White (KAHLER!)
              '88 Jackson® USA Granite Strat

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                I've found the perfect layout. Just transfer to an actual soloist.
                This guitar is actually based on a Soloist too, Jeff's "dk" soloist

Comment

To me, it sounds a lot like you need to decide exactly what you want out of a custom order. Do you want a Soloist, or an Axxion etc? When you know that for sure, you can narrow down the precise specs, but until you decide, worrying about volume position is somewhat a case of 'cart before the horse' ...
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                    To me, it sounds a lot like you need to decide exactly what you want out of a custom order. Do you want a Soloist, or an Axxion etc? When you know that for sure, you can narrow down the precise specs, but until you decide, worrying about volume position is somewhat a case of 'cart before the horse' ...
                    Yeah, I want a soloist, the Axxion I knew would be a long shot anyway.

Comment

Here's the link to the SL2H-V I mentioned. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just came across an ad from them. They state the controls are moved 1" towards the bridge and away from your picking hand:
                      http://www.themusiczoo.com/cgi-bin/c...x=0&search.y=0
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

I too hate the standard Jackson Vol. placment and I am getting ready to order two CS's and I've simply took a picture and added dimensions from the floyd stud as a reference point. If you give them dimensions you will get what you want - that's the only way to be 100% sure.

Comment

Maybe this has been posted but I've seen people take the pot that would go near the treble pickup and move it to the cavity with the pickup switch would be and then move the pickup switch to where the tone control would go and then set the tone control to what they want and have it be internal.

Yes, inconvenient, yes a gaping hole for crud to get situated in but it would be possible to go back to stock configuration later on if you decided to sell.

For me, I just learned to control my picking hand to not move around so much. And sometimes it's down to the diameter and height of the knob involved. Custom knobs might help too.

Comment

If it were me, I would do away with all but a single volume knob placed slightly to the right (and the pickup selector in there somewhere). Too many knobs means too many wires = bad for tone, IMHO.
                            '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                            '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                            '98 PRS Custom 22
                            '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Working...
                            X