Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Completely disapointed with Jackson/Fender QC...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely disapointed with Jackson/Fender QC...

Two years ago my wife bought me a beautiful au'Natural PC-1 for X-mas. After a few days the honeymoon phase was over and I quickly noticed some issues with the guitar. The factory set up was garbage, action was way to high for a USA Jackson, and it was just really difficult to play.

I changed the string gauge to 10-46, set the relief the way I like and tried to get the action down to an acceptable level. At this point I noticed the Nut was high... Action at the nut was 3mm off the fretboard and 5mm at the 12th fret. If I went any lower the result was lots of fret buzz and fretted out notes when bending the B or high E. Completely unacceptable for a USA guitar retailing for $3000.

I brought the guitar to a local authorized Fender service center and explained my issues. Long story short they said the guitar was "within spec". I accepted this because if they can tell me this guitar is fine then I dont want them touching it any further...

I basically stopped playing the guitar. Picked it up once in a while and would get disappointed all over again.

Few days ago I called Phil Jacoby at Philtone guitars in Baltimore. I explained my issues with this guitar and we set up a time to evaluate the guitar.

I live in central Jersey, Philtone is 2.5 hours from home but the fact that they have a Plek machine and a solid reputation led me to them.

Met Phil today and he quickly identified the problem areas with my PC-1.
    1. Many of the frets were not seated properly into the fretboard.
    2. The nut is not only high but 10 thousandth's of an inch to far from the first fret.
    3 The break angle of the nut is incorrect causing the string clamps to actually act as the nut. This also causes a "plinky" sound when playing open strings with Floyd equipped guitars.

Phil's initial recommendation was I should sell it and cut my losses. I wouldn't feel comfortable selling a guitar with those issues so I asked him to make it right.

He's going to flow "Thin CA" glue under the frets and reseat them.
    Scan the guitar with the Plek to determine proper nut height.
    Set the nut height, break angle, and correct the distance to the first fret.
    Plek the fretboard, and do a final crown by hand.

Phil definitely instilled confidence in me that he would make it right. So much so I also left my Wolfgang with him for a refret. It's getting SS 6105's, a new nut (It's a stop tail guitar), and the Plek treatment...

I really hope the Jackson comes out great. My wife asks me once in a while why I never play it...
    ---RCM78
    >>>I'm Fucking Rich!!!<<<

Phil is THE man/luthier! He's setup/Plek'd most of my guitars, and they all play awesome. He'll make it right for you, guaranteed.
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Did your wife buy it brand new for you? If so, then: If the guitar was unplayable to you I am surprised you didn't push them to get it correct or just issue a replacement, or better yet, get a full refund.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Yes, My wife bought the guitar new. I didnt see returning it as an option since it was a gift. I did give it to a service center to repair. They said it was fine. To be fair two years have passed and the frets could have gotten worse over that time.

I opted to repair it since I like the neck shape, and love the looks of the guitar. To sell it and buy a Suhr or Anderson would cost me a lot more money...
        ---RCM78

Comment

I have to admit, my buddy and me looked at a slew of USA Fenders at a guitar/music giant in a Milwaukee suburb. He had a boner for a USA Telecaster for some reason and wanted one. I am not kidding, we looked at atleast 6 of them and the fret work flat out sucked. I mean bad. Ugly overhang, not finished off nice.(yes I live in Wisconsin the land of crazy humidity changes,it wasn't that). I picked up a MIM Tele and it was wonderful. The build quality of the USA's looked nicely finished off but the frets looked and felt like pure crap.Buzzing shitpiles. I have no clue why these all were that way. I am not buying into humidity. Every ESP, LTD, Schecter,PRS and a couple new older USA Charvels were as good as I would expect. How the hell these USA Tele's were so frickin bad was beyond me. Rubish. He bought a G&L ASAT . It was pure gold, absolutly perfect in every way. I don't get it when shit like this makes it on the floor of a dealer and they didn't even question it. Now I am not singling out Fender as the only slip up, but this bothered me. I also can say that I have run into this with other US and foriegn guitars. Come on, most guitar players are scraping for cash, there is no excuse for shit craftsmanship from anybody. I have a freakin' Chineese Hamer I got on a whim. Bought it used, mostly because I dig Les Paul Jr. double cutaway styles and needed a traveling beater. Yes the electronics sucked bag as did the tuners, but the build quality was defintly tolerable....and for $150 used. I don't care who the hell makes them, show some damn pride in what you do. Many of us get leaned on hard and put up with retarded shit where we work to make stuff perfect everyday, and then to save a couple dollars here and there for a new guitar, stuff we look forward to. The big guys need to pay more attention because many of the smaller shops are coming on hard. On another note, I personally have never had a problem with Jackson's. They have been first rate.Even all the ones I have worked on and modified for others. Number one in my rack happens to be a USA one. It is a stellar playing and sounding guitar and rarely gets upset with Wisconsin climate changes.

Comment

Okay, I'm sympathetic to your problem (and completely unsympathetic to Jackson's occasional lack of quality control) and have had Phil work on a few of my own guitars--he is the man and what he says goes.

But I can't wrap my head around why you'd basically stop playing a guitar for two years because of some minor issues. Why didn't you take it back to the dealer? Why not ask Jackson to replace it under warrenty? Etc etc. Sorry, but I feel like we aren't getting the whole story. I've had guitars arrive with similar problems and I immediately threw bitch fits until Jackson un-fucked them, which they did in short order and very apologetically. As far as I'm concerned, after 2.5 years, it's no one's problem but your own.

Comment

I'm sorry but I would think that with a $2400 purchase your wife would understand more with taking it back or making them fix it OVER having a gift sit unplayed for 2 years.

Comment

I could never have let it sit that long over an issue.I would have gotten the problem resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
                  Okay, I'm sympathetic to your problem (and completely unsympathetic to Jackson's occasional lack of quality control) and have had Phil work on a few of my own guitars--he is the man and what he says goes.

But I can't wrap my head around why you'd basically stop playing a guitar for two years because of some minor issues. Why didn't you take it back to the dealer? Why not ask Jackson to replace it under warrenty? Etc etc. Sorry, but I feel like we aren't getting the whole story. I've had guitars arrive with similar problems and I immediately threw bitch fits until Jackson un-fucked them, which they did in short order and very apologetically. As far as I'm concerned, after 2.5 years, it's no one's problem but your own.
                  I'm not holding anything back. I have 8 other guitars to play so letting this one sit wasnt a big deal. The guitar has a lifetime warranty. I still opted to give it to Phil because I dont feel like dealing with Jackson...
                  ---RCM78

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    I'm sorry but I would think that with a $2400 purchase your wife would understand more with taking it back or making them fix it OVER having a gift sit unplayed for 2 years.
                    My wife is in the biz. She didnt pay anywhere near $2400 for it. Thats another reason I'm willing to have Phil fix it right. Even with his cost I'm still way ahead of the game...
                    ---RCM78

Comment

If your wife is "in the biz" then it damn sure should've been fixed way before now. Maybe it's just me, but something just doesn't fly with this story.
                      In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

If your wife in in the biz as you say, then this should never have happened. Tell us how she is connected to the biz. Something's not adding up here...
                        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                        Gotta get away from here.
                        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by RCM78 View Post
                          3 The break angle of the nut is incorrect causing the string clamps to actually act as the nut. This also causes a "plinky" sound when playing open strings with Floyd equipped guitars.
                          Never heard of that one. Are you saying the nut was defective or that the neck's nut shelf was whacked?

Comment

I buy only Japanese cars and guitars.

Comment

^And bolt-ons?

Comment

Working...
                              X