opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions

I have a custom RR from 1989. "Valley of Lost Souls" graphic.

Love everything about the guitar. Never been keen on the graphic. Just way too cheesy. I've finally made the decision to change it.
    I know its a "custom shop" geetar, but I've seen this graphic before. It's really not unique and/or cool. I wanted to know what you guys think I should do with it?

Rundown: All black RR, black hardware, black floyd, no control plate on the front, so its solid on top. Binding around the neck and headstock.

Gimme some suggestions!

Probably kinda boring, but I like RRs with either black/gold pins or white/black pins. I've seen some really beautiful figured top RRs, but I personally prefer the opaque finishes on that body style. My avatar was a rendering from the Custom Shop generator, which was a rear loaded RR in white with black pinstripes. So that's probably what I'd do.

Side note: shortly after I created that rendering, the Custom shop prices went through the roof, so I ended up getting an RR1 in white with black pinstripes.

Comment

That is a cool graphic. I just can't see refinning it unless it is all nicked up. You could trade it for a black one.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        That is a cool graphic. I just can't see refinning it unless it is all nicked up. You could trade it for a black one.
        +1. Try doing a trade. It'll save you some money.

Comment

I owned that one and sold it to you right? PM me if you might prefer to sell it back to me instead of refinning her...
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

We all know what they say about opinions...

Comment

I can't remember if I've seen that graphic, but I'd like to. Especially if you might cover it up!

I agree with trading it (in theory). I hate to hear about original graphics being painted over, but it's got to be a tough choice to get rid of it if you love the sound & feel of the guitar, so I understand why you would want to keep it. I don't think I could do either...

Comment

^I wondered the same thing. Type "Jackson Valley of Lost Souls" in Google image search and the first three pics are the OP's actual guitar.

That graphic isn't for me personally. As far as trading/selling and getting a different guitar, two big factors are:

1. How important is rear loading? Rear loaded USA Rhoads aren't exactly plentiful and finding a replacement you like could be a challenge.

2. Do you love this particular guitar and plan on keeping it for the rest of your life? If the answer is yes, then a refinish could be justified. If you got a different guitar, you might not bond with it like this one.

Comment

Hmmm -that graphic does kinda suck doesn't it? LOL Personally, I'm a huge sucker for rear loaded RRs, but that graphic kills that one so a refin wouldn't concern me. I'm not a fan of the oversize pickups either, so I'd probably change them out at the same time...

Are you looking to do a graphic, or a solid colour refin? When it comes to graphics, when I had a rear-loaded RR refinished, I had DRL do the tribal flames graphic on it which looked great. My other thoughts were a navy or winter camo (old school style) which would also have looked awesome. If you're talking solid colour, I'm a big fan of black w green pins (Spitz influence I guess!) or black w white bevels...
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Im keeping the axe. It plays great, had it refretted, and it's rear loaded. I doubt I could find a suitable trade. Graphics are going.

Comment

Then, as mentioned earlier, my choice would be either black with gold bevel pinstripes or white with black bevel pinstripes. That's my opinion anyway. I'd possibly do some knob/switch changes as well.

Comment

Im thinking something a little more wild, like all black with hot pink polka dots

Comment

Personally, I wouldn’t kill the graphics, but that’s just me. I would sell it. Someone is going to like what you don’t and there MUST be another guitar in the world somewhere that you will love just as much…or more…
                          -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

I can understand changing it. If you can find one that "feels" right to you but the paint is wrong, well thats an easy fix. Finding another one like that will be hard, and you'll most likely will always regret it. Now on to the more important part, "black with hot pink polka dots" hmmm...:think: what else you got?
                            "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

what does this graphic look like?
                              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                              X