Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know about the mid to late 80s era shop practices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know about the mid to late 80s era shop practices?

As in could you buy a normal USA neck alone at this time frame?

I snagged this one as we discussed a bit earlier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-USA-...#ht_500wt_1339

I got her today and played her a bit and she is a very nice piece but if the body isnt Jackson its not staying in this form.

At any rate after tearing it down a bit and doing some comparisons the best I can figure is the body is a Chandler make.

The San Dimas style route is MUCH smaller than that of my 86 charvel and 87 Jackson Strat.

There are no markings whatsoever anywhere on the body and it was pretty much definitely routed for the Kahler Steeler thats on it. The contours fit for an autolatch but theres no holes drilled.

The Neck however has an order stamp on the back...and on that stamp it lists a tobacco body? My thoughts are either A. Someone bought the neck and labeled it to match this body...or B, at some point body 1 was destroyed and this is its second coming.

Would Jackson sell to people like that; particularly custom builders back then like moser or chandler? The P/O claims this was a Moser build but from all my research this doesnt add up to the body design I see her. Moser used to the best of my knowledge all Warmoth stuff and this thing sure seems Chandler in route styles and build.

Ill get some body closeups here in a bit. Its getting a chandler neck and prob flipped because as cool as it is; for my collection its not a Jackson...I do however have 3 potential San Dimas bodies for that maple neck.
    Haters gonna hate
    Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Link doesn't work.

Comment

I saw an interview recently (I can't remember where) in which it was mentioned that Grover Jackson also did orders for BC Rich (if I remember correctly). So who knows what else happened in those days. And didn't it all start as a repair and parts shop?

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoman25 View Post
        As in could you buy a normal USA neck alone at this time frame?
        Link doesn't work, however early 80's pre-pro era, they sold parts kits and parts to other vendors. I think they may have sold some replacement pointy necks when they started selling woodburn Strathead necks in the mid 80's, but I'm not sure.

It's probably some random parted out neck thrown on some random body. A replacement neck wouldn't have the custom info stamp on the heel.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
        X