Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD: 1998 Jackson USA SLS (Super Light Soloist)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: 1998 Jackson USA SLS (Super Light Soloist)

Well, I got my very first Jackson USA guitar today.
    It's a '98 SLS Super Light Soloist in trans blue.
    It has Gotoh tuners, Gotoh TOM bridge (103B) and Gotoh stop bar tail piece.
    It's a mahogany body, mahaogany neck, bound rosewood fretboard, no inlays, 25.5" scale, 22 frets.
    The wiring was a wreck, but I knew it was going to be.

I re-wired it 3 different times because I just wasn't liking the sound.
    I wired in my Dave Mustaine Livewires and she's screaming now!
    (The JB/Jazz pups that were in it went in my Kelly with a push/pull pot.)
    The neck looks to have been stripped and oiled. It feels fantastic!
    It's much darker than the pics show. In some light it looks almost black.

I'm a happy camper! Not bad for a first foray into the Jackson USA world!

Last edited by DalyTek; 10-30-2011, 03:31 PM.
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
    The neck looks to have been stripped and oiled. It feels fantastic!
    Looks fantastic too. Looks like a factory job.

Congrats.

Comment

Very cool indeed. Congrats and enjoy the hell out of it.

Comment

Thanks guys. The neck stripping was pretty well done except for they sanded into the binding on the bottom (high E side) around the 22nd fret and the "fret" where the serial number is.
        By the way, the serial on this one is U05745. There are a few chips in the clear (nothing to the wood) and lots of light scratches, but overall in nice shape. And the importany thing: it plays great!

Oh, and for Grim, when he stops by, I took a shot of the side profiles. Doesn't look too thin to me...measures about 1.5" at the thickest part of body and a little under 1" where the belly cut is.
        Last edited by DalyTek; 09-13-2011, 09:33 PM.
        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Hell yeah utah. Looking like 3 shades of tasty vagina. 10-4 good buddy

Comment

Corpsegrinder88: Uhhhh....thanks?

Comment

LOL I think i was channeling my inner redneck last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Corpsegrinder88 View Post
                Hell yeah utah. Looking like 3 shades of tasty vagina. 10-4 good buddy
                Corpsegrinder88: Uhhhh....thanks?
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks, DalyTek!

Looks thicker than I anticipated.
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

I don't rally have any experience with "regular" Soloists, but this one doesn't seem to be what I would call "thin."
                    It is considerably lighter than my Kelly, and I would say a bit lighter than the Fusion was.

Comment

Is the bottom horn on the SLS smaller than an SL1 or SL2, or are they the same body shape other than thickness?

Looks shorter in the pics, but I could just be seeing things.

Comment

I've never owned an SL1 or SL2, but from looking at pics of them, I would agree.
                        They look like the horns are longer, thinner and pointier than the horns on my SLS.
                        Can anyone with actual experience confirm or deny this?

Comment

I've never owned an SL1 or SL2, but from looking at pics of them, I would agree.
                          They look like the horns are longer, thinner and pointier than the horns on my SLS.
                          Can anyone with actual experience confirm or deny this?
                          They are. The classic SLS shape is more rounded.
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

That's a beauty, David. I absolutely love that headstock. Dibs if you ever get rid of it...
                            MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Yep, trans blue flame maple rules.
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X