SL2H MAH or SLS USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2H MAH or SLS USA?

I would like to get some general opinions about these two guitars and which people tend to prefer in terms of a mahogany guitar. The SL2H has a Floyd and the SLS has a fixed ABM bridge. Despite the lighter weight does the SLS have a "bigger" tone than a SL2H Mah? The 22 verse 24 fret or scale length wouldn't really bother me on either.

I already have a standard USA SL2H with a Big Block and graphite tuning blocks and I love it.

thanks
    2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
    Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Your best option is to walk into a shop and demo them. I also think having a blocked trem is better than not having a trem at all. Besides, I hate smurfhat headstocks
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Unfortunately, those models are never in stock in this area.

I must mention that I plan to eventually get a Broderick 7 so at the moment I am leaning more towards the SLS since I will have too many Floyds at that point, and having a Les Paul style scale length might be kind of cool and different. :-)

thanks
      Last edited by Animus; 07-02-2011, 01:47 PM.
      2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
      Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

<------- The SLS is a great guitar IMO . I much prefer a hard tail over a OFR guitar. The SLS is very thin closer to a SG than a SL2H . As far as tone with the stock pickups it is a great guitar for 70s and early 80s rock , Led Zep , Tesla , AC/DC etc... . Definitely not a "metal" guitar setup from the factory . I actually like the stock Pearly Gates and intend on never changing them. I do not own a SL2H that is straight mahogany . I have a few that are mahogany bodied but have maple necks . So a direct comparasion I can not do . But can compare it to SLATQH, it has a much bigger tone than a SLS even acoustically . Which maybe the 3/4 maple top .
        Mike
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Yeah SLATQH is what I really want but they are few and far between it seems; there are a few bozos on ebay selling used SLATQH for outrageous prices. Maybe I will try and hold out as they do pop up occasionaly with realistic prices. thanks
          Last edited by Animus; 07-02-2011, 02:16 PM.

Comment

The SLS is one of the best guitars I've ever had but the SL2H-MAH is also a stellar guitar. I like short scale hard tails over long scale or anything with a tremolo. Also, the SLS has a 3 piece neck with straight through strings and locking tuners stock all of which to me is a plus. Tone wise the SLS and SL2H-MAH are similar in tone with the SL2H-MAH being a little snappier but with a little less sustain. The SLATQ is more of an in your face tone with more sustain yet. A hard tail SLATQ is a tone machine for sure and you won't quite get there with the other two.

Comment

Originally posted by mjtripper View Post
              SL2H MAH or SLS USA?
              Yes please!
              Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

I can also vouch for the SLS - it's an awesome guitar in all respects. The only reason I don't use mine so much is that I don't get along so well with the short scale. But I use it for things where I don't need to access the upper frets so much, like blues. I haven't tried an SL2H-MAH, though, so I can't help you there. I see on the Jackson homepage that the SL2H-MAH is a current production model, so it should be easier to find. I sure haven't seen many SLS around and the ones I've seen in internet stores have been mighty expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                  Your best option is to walk into a shop and demo them. I also think having a blocked trem is better than not having a trem at all. Besides, I hate smurfhat headstocks
                  Man how could you! I love the smurf heads!

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by Charlz View Post
                      Yes please!

2 please!

Comment

Working...
                      X