Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adrian Smith sig guitar question

Hey All,

I have some questions about it, I really want one, but the price is scary. I can't try one out because not one shop in AZ has one. So that leads me to you guys

My questions,
    What is the neck like? I have owned soloists before and never was into the necks on them, I tend to like a bit beefier backshape. I have played Charvel socals and liked the necks on them I have an ESP m2 and a Fender HM strat and like the fell of them. Basically what I'd like to know is, what is the neck like is it like a
    Soloist A bit too thin for me
    Charvel socal Very nice
    ESP M2 Awesome feel and a bit thick
    Ibanez Wizard Not at all my thing
    DR3 The import I used to have nice, but too flat a radius for me.

I know really pain in the ass question but I can't try one and if I'm going to start saving I want to know if it will work for me.

And a stupid question, how is the paint on them? I know that white can yellow anybody's yellowing yet?

Is there a finish on the back of the ebony boarded one? I know the maple necked one is unfinished just curious if the ebony is as well.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but like I said can't play one so I need to figure out what I can.

Thanks

I don't think the neck is as slim as a soloist, but someone that owns one can shime in. Any paint will yellow over time, but I haven't seen or heard of any of them yellowing too early.

I've heard a few comments about the fretwork on them, being out of level etc. That is the only bad thing I've heard about them. I'm kind of interested in getting some feedback as well, since this will prolly be my next purchase as well.

Comment

You can always order one through Guitar Center, they carry the Adrians online. Got to be one in Arizona?

30 day return/refund policy if you don't bond with it.
      Jackson KV2
      Jackson KE1T
      Jackson KE1F
      Jackson SL1

Comment

The best description I've heard for the neck shape is a speed neck with a C shape, instead of a D. I have one, and I'd say it's fairly thin. I also have an Ibanez with a Wizard 1 profile, and it's not nearly that thin, but definitely thinner than the SoCals. I've only played a few soloists (a long time ago) so I can't compare it to that.

As for the paint, I may be alone on this, but I'm on my third AS, and all have had paint issues. No issue with yellowing, but a reddish-brown discoloration, almost like the wood is showing through the paint. This has happened on the last two I've had on the belly cut on the back of the guitar, but I have certainly not worn through the paint! With all that said, I'm guessing all three may have come from the same batch, so I wouldn't base your decision on my experience.

The necks on either model are just oiled, no finish.

If you're on the fence, a white SoCal with a gloss black pickguard, and a HSS or HSH setup will get you very close for half the price.

Comment

i have a custom soloist with an 'unfinished' neck, and it feels exactly the same as the smith.

i have the ebony freboard (and am in the market for the maple, if you know someone who has one for sale), minus the joint, the plate, and the bolts, of course. i have two soloists with finished necks which feel slightly thicker, but probably just the thickness of the finish. they are both fast and smooth too; they all pretty much feel about the same - thicker than an ibanez, but sleeker than an esp.

it's fast and smooth - effortless fretting. i thought that not having a binding on the fretboard would annoy me (as it does with strats) but the beveling feels the same as having an unfinished binding.

i've had mine (SN 006666) for almost two years to the day, and there's no yellowing on the paint yet, and i play it several times a week. minus one little pinhead-sized scratch that i have on the top horn by the strap buckle it looks the same as it did when it arrived.

so cals are thicker, but not by much. they might be what you're looking for if you like a slightly thicker neck. i like the 'unfinished' feel too, and if it's that feel that you like, a socal saves you a grand over buying a japanese guitar - sounds like a no-brainer.
          Last edited by drixll; 07-07-2011, 12:43 PM.
          198? Charvel Model 2B s/n 245085
          1987 Charvel Model 6 s/n C707218
          2001 SL2H Black Pearl s/n U09404
          2006 SL2HT Burnt Cherry Sunburst s/n U18151
          2008 USA C/S Soloist Soft Arch Carved Top Tiger Eye JA0510
          2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 006666 (Ebony Fretboard)
          2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 007066 (Maple Freboard)

Comment

Working...
          X