Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried a Full Shred in their PC1? Any other pup suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried a Full Shred in their PC1? Any other pup suggestions?

I am lucky enough to have a few PC1's lying around, and as we all know that they come stock with the Super 3.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that pickup. As a matter of fact I have one installed in every guitar I own! LOL!

There is however a Full Shred in my junk pile and I figured that I would perhaps toss it in and see.

I also have a J90C kicking around as well.

Any comments or suggestions perhaps?

i have an early full shred?? in my San Dimas Jackson....its simply has BJ on the bottom....
    it kicks ass...

Comment

I had an old Kramer Nightswan with a full shred in the bridge. The guitar had a mahogany body. I absolutely loved that pickup!! It was crystal clear. You could clearly hear every note of a chord and every note in fast single note runs. I would not hesitate to try it. If I remember correctly, it was not too bright or too dark. It had a nice mid range tone to it.

Comment

Funny though cause the Super 3 is a high output humbucker rated at 25k while the Full Shred is rated at 14.6

I would NOT call the Full Shred a high output pickup regardless.

Just scared that the tone will be thin and weak compared to the Super 3

Might just have to try and see no?

Comment

The worst thing you'll have to do is pull the pup back out and swap back in the Super 3 if you don't like it.

Comment

I love the Full Shred. Great PAF-ish tone with a little something extra.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
              I love the Full Shred. Great PAF-ish tone with a little something extra.
              +1 I have the set in my 750XL and it does a great job nailing old UFO tones.

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                As a matter of fact I have one installed in every guitar I own! LOL!
                Question for you - do all your PC1's sound the same or does the wood effect the tone slightly here and there?

Here's food for thought - The full shred was designed for thick guitars to let the ring out and sing. My 750XL is mahogany, fixed bridge, short scale, set neck, and was too thick with a Duncan Distortion in it.

The Super 3 is designed to fatten a thin guitar. The Super 3 was designed for the HM Strat, which has a mid-scale (25"), bolt on, floating trem.

I think you might think the Full Shred sounds thin on the PC1, but a PC1 does have a mahogany body.

As DRM said, you'll only know for sure if you try it and find out.

Comment

I used a FS on a model 4, and loved it.

Comment

My only experience with a Full Shred was in an RR1. It sounded very weak to me, yanked itback out and sold it. That pickup reminded of the Pearly Gates, also a weak sounding pickup.

Rudy
                    Metal Inc.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

one of my PC1's has a dimarzio double whammy pickup. Actually its the one you used to own (solar w/ koa body) I actually like the sound of it - its a little bit brighter than the super 3, a tad more mids. one of these days' i'll have to make a comparison video.

not sure if its the pickup or the koa on that guitar that is responsible for the slightly different tone vs my other stock PC1s
                      Proud endorser of:
                      Steve Clayton Inc. http://www.steveclayton.com
                      GLS Audio http://www.glsaudio.com
                      Orange County Speaker http://www.speakerrepair.com/

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                        My only experience with a Full Shred was in an RR1. It sounded very weak to me, yanked itback out and sold it. That pickup reminded of the Pearly Gates, also a weak sounding pickup.

Rudy
                        Metal Inc.
                        I've seen you post this before and can't help but think something wasn't wired right (or some other issue). My Full Shred has MUCH more output than a PG, is fatter, and is very good for palm muting.

Comment

I put a JB in one of my PC1's and it sound great. I hate the Super 3 than comes in the PC1. I must not be a Dimarzio guy. I have a cs Charvel that came with Dimarzio pups and I replaced them too.
                          "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                          I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                            I've seen you post this before and can't help but think something wasn't wired right (or some other issue). My Full Shred has MUCH more output than a PG, is fatter, and is very good for palm muting.
                            I suppose this could be true. I did buy the guitar with it installed already, didn't wire it myself. I didn't really notice anything strange wiring wise but who knows? I just never bothered with that pickup after that. Seems most of my Jacksons have either Duncan Screamin Demon, JB, Distortion, Dimarzio Tone Zone, or EMG pickups in the bridge position. Depending on the guitar one of those usually works well for me.
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                              Duncan Screamin Demon, JB, Distortion, Dimarzio Tone Zone, or EMG pickups in the bridge position.
                              The Full Shred should have been fatter sounding than the Screamin Demon, and similar to the JB (slightly lower output). Somewhere between these two. I have both, but each guitar is different in build, a bolt on, set neck, neck thru, some Floyded some not, makes it hard to compare. But I'd say the Full Shred is right between these two. All three are Alnico 5 loaded. Some say the FS is a Custom 5 with allen heads instead of normal poles. Who knows. But that gives me an idea. I have two more FS's not being used. I wonder how it would sound loaded with filster screws on both coils? Sort of a calmed down Dirty Fingers?

Comment

Working...
                              X