true custom shop? factory wah wah ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• true custom shop? factory wah wah ???

ok, I have had this Jackson for what seems like forever (especially to a guy like me who goes through guitars like socks) and have kept it in super great condition. I got it back in 92/93 when I traded in an RR1. Anyways when I ran the s/n it says the 4 digit # is custom shop. However it doesnt say custom shop on the headstock like my newer Jacksons do. Also, if you look at the headstock pic the logo is like a pearl color instead of a solid color which my other Jacksons (custom shop or not) all have a solid colored logo. I know it looks white in the pic but I can email you better pics if you cant see the pearl. Also, is it odd to find a dinky with ebony fretboard? or reverse headstock?

And lastly, if you look at the electronics you will notice not only the 3 toggles for pups but just to the inside of them is a 3rd toggle that is a wah wah type effect that when turned on the wah sweep is controlled by the tone knob. I had the pups changed out last year (it had the Jackson actives in it) and I had my luthier double check the internals when doing the pup swap and setup and he agreed that it seems to be a wah effect and was factory built that way. I havent done a ton of research but from what I have done I havent been able to find out any info on this and figured you guys would know as youre the experts.
    Also, I have a feeling I may have to sell this baby in the next few months but I hope not. Just in case do you have any idea what kind of value to put on it? It is in i'd say 95-98% cond., frets are great, and I have its original case also.
    thanks for any info!

dk1.jpgdk2.jpgdk3.jpgdk4.jpg

Originally posted by mp5999 View Post
    And lastly, if you look at the electronics you will notice not only the 3 toggles for pups but just to the inside of them is a 3rd toggle that is a wah wah type effect that when turned on the wah sweep is controlled by the tone knob. I had the pups changed out last year (it had the Jackson actives in it) and I had my luthier double check the internals when doing the pup swap and setup and he agreed that it seems to be a wah effect and was factory built that way.
    The Jackson pups you took out were not active, as Jackson never made active pups. The wah effect is an active circuit and that's why it needed a battery. Jackson had three different active circuits; the wah sweep, a mid boost and a gain boost/preamp. Your guitar is indeed a Custom Shop Dinky, but not all Custom Shops say that on the headstock... some people just order them without it.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

wow, I have been wandering about this stuff for ages (literally years), I make a post with my questions, and I get it all answered literally in minutes!! Was the wah sweep rare, ebony rare? reverse headstock rare?
      So are most dinkys custom shop or not many or half and half??? Just wandering if this is something special or fairly typical. And any clue to a ballpark on what its worth if I did decide to sell?

Comment

the douche answer is that your guitar is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. it looks sweet, so i personally would pay up to $1200 for it depending on the overall condition (chips, tarnishing on the gold, etc.)....but i am not looking to buy any guitars at the moment, so my "price" is rather moot.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

What's the body wood? Ash? The wah sweep wasn't rare at that time. Ebony was / is the standard for Jackson. Rev head is less common, but it's not what I'd call 'rare'.

'Worth' is really tough to estimate because of the state of the economy these days. It's not an SD guitar so it won't attract that premium and it's a bolt on which invariably sell for less. The upsides are the matching rev headstock and custom colour.
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

The DK1 is the US production model Dinky and would typically have an Ebony fretboard although not reversed headstock.
            Your guitar, as far as I'm concerned, is unique though.
            I've never seen that colour Trans Amber before. It looks like a deep lemon colour. I'm not familiar with the switching config either.
            I'm not sure on the wood judging by the grain. It could be Alder or Poplar or it might even be Swamp Ash.

It's definitely a Custom. As for value. its hard to say with Customs as they are particular and sometimes unusual. It depends who wants it really. It hasnt got a Kahler trem so that's a good start.
            All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Groovy wall hanger Where the hell do I get one of those from? .
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Mazrim View Post
                I'm not sure on the wood judging by the grain. It could be Alder or Poplar or it might even be Swamp Ash.
                Could possibly be maple.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It could, but with the grain that open I'd be tempted to narrow it down to Poplar or some species of Ash with my money on Poplar.
                  All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

thanks

wow, so I guess in hindsight it wasnt as bad as a trade as I has been thinking it was - I was just out of high school and not always thinking stuff through (not that I do much better now) !! The build tag says "trans amber" and I was told it is made of ash.

I got the hangars off of the internet, sorry I cant remember exactly where but I have seen them in back of guitar world recently- I think they run about $40-$50 and they have several colors also. I also have some cool hangars that hold the guitar at a sideways angle. Here is a pic of 1 of the walls of my guitar room - you can see the sideways holders here. I will try to ad some pics of the rest of the guitar walls to the forum soon.
                    thanks to everybody for the help on identifying what my guitar was. I am still overwhelmed by how much I have learned after only starting the post an hour or two ago!!
                    jackson1.jpg

Comment

I'm going to agree with Mark on this one. ~$1200 sounds like a good price to expect. Looks like a sweet guitar!
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                        Groovy wall hanger Where the hell do I get one of those from? .
                        I've got two of em,

http://www.guitargrip.com/
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                          the douche answer is that your guitar is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. it looks sweet, so i personally would pay up to $1200 for it depending on the overall condition (chips, tarnishing on the gold, etc.)....but i am not looking to buy any guitars at the moment, so my "price" is rather moot.
                          Sorry, this bugs me every time I read it. Not trying to be the grammar police, but http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moot+point

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/moot
                          Last edited by Twitch; 03-16-2011, 01:32 PM.
                          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Wouldn't his price then be a matter of no importance from the definition? Hence his usage correct?

"A debatable question, an issue open to argument; also, an irrelevant question, a matter of no importance."
                            1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
                            2002 Candy Apple Green DK1
                            2008 Satin Black SL3
                            2011 Charvel Socal Candy Red
                            2010 Les Paul Standard Plus Cherry Burst

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

Originally posted by Sukkoi19 View Post
                              Wouldn't his price then be a matter of no importance from the definition? Hence his usage correct?

"A debatable question, an issue open to argument; also, an irrelevant question, a matter of no importance."
                              I agree. Mark is stating that although would offer $1200, given that he is not looking to buy, his offer is "obsolete" (from the second definition.

I think Twitch's point is moot

The one that bugs me is when people state that "the point is mute"
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X