Jackson SL1 Floyd Rose noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson SL1 Floyd Rose noise

Hello everybody. I have an issue and was hoping someone may have a suggestion. I have a 1998 Jackson USA SL1 with a Floyd Rose. It's tuned standard 9-42 & if I tune the fine tuner on the low "E" up to pitch there is a very audible vibrating sound if I pull off on the low "G" note. If I tune sharp then lower into tune it no longer makes this noise. Any suggestions? I've checked the saddles, springs, block, from the claw to the headstock and I can't figure this out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

1). Have you checked the end of the fine tuner bolt, where it rides the locking bolt? Is there some kind of debris there or bad contact?

2). Is the locking bolt tight up against the fine tuner bolt, as it should be? If it isn't, the "Fine tuner adjustment spring" needs to be bent, so it applies more pressure to the locking bolt.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

To add to what Jackson1 has mentioned

Ive had a problem similar to this and it was the saddle vibrating from side to side, it just seemed more loose than the others i.e. the pin it pivots on for fine tuning was a little loose, i figured that to fix it id have to change the saddle or the pin, but as it only happens on the A string when hitting an open note quite hard, I am living with it for the moment.

Maybe watch the offending string saddle for movement and compare it to the other strings

Comment

I had a weird buzz on a guitar once... traced it back to the Floyd's fine tuner. If the fine tuner wasn't adjusted right, it would buzz/vibrate. :think:
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Might be a different issue but on all my FR equipped guitars I always dampen the springs(the ones that go from the block to the claw). I have found that those make noises to, sounds kind of like a bad vibration noise. There are several ways to do it but I usually just do a single wrap of electrical tape completely around each spring about 1/2-3/4" away from the claw. Might or might not solve your problem. Just thought I would throw it out there.

hotrod

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna start with the fine tuner adjustment spring and go from there trying each one til it stops. It only happens when I tune up to pitch, not if I tune sharp then lower to pitch & only pulling off on that G but it drives me batty because it very audible. Thanks again for the info mates, Cheers.

Comment

To add more detail to some earlier posts, unscrew the fine-tuner screw and take it out. Inspect the bottom for burrs or divots and touch it up with a fine file if the is anything there. If you have some Nut Sauce or similar lubricant (chapstick will work in a pinch) put it on the bottom of the screw once it's threaded back in.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Well I bent the "fine tuner adj spring" and that did the trick. Thanks for the information

Comment

Wohoo!
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
                  X