Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike Shannon RR 1.5 Upgrade... '80 Concorde Style!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Shannon RR 1.5 Upgrade... '80 Concorde Style!!

Hey Guys,

OK, I thought I could live with my plain white 'Mike Shannon RR 1.5' but after a few weeks I realized I needed some stripes and a few other tweaks to make it more '1980 Concorde'...

So, I had master painter Mike Learn do the stripe job and I had some brass pickup rings and gold post single coil humbuckers installed (I absolutely hated the gold covered humbuckers). Mike did a great job and the best part is Mike's shop is about 20 minutes from me so a quick drive to drop off and pick up BTW, Mike has a sick shop and some amazing skills!!

The one feature I made was the truss cover... the original was ebony with pearl inlay, so I used a black aluminum one and cut out the 'RR' logo in a Mother of Pearl vinyl transfer. I'm pretty happy with the outcome!

Overall... for what I have invested in this I am VERY psyched! And the best part, I didn't pay $12,000 for it either

Anyhow, enough with my rambling onto the pics...

H

www.howardsstudios.com

Wow, amazing

Comment

Shit yeah howie. That turned out amazing.

Comment

Looks Fantastic

So did Mike just do the stripes over the original finish and just clear over the top of that or..?

Comment

Sweeet!

Comment

How are the necks on those? Big 50s LP or more speed neck..Looks great by the way
            H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Awesome looking guitar! Congrats!
              Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by RRHowie View Post
                and I had some brass pickup rings and gold post single coil humbuckers installed (I absolutely hated the gold covered humbuckers).
                Ooh, that looks really classy!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RRHowie View Post
                  but after a few weeks I realized I needed some stripes and a few other tweaks to make it more '1980 Concorde'...
                  So did you have the pinstripes made dark metallic blue like Randy's or are they black? His headstock was actually dark metallic blue, too.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                    Looks Fantastic

So did Mike just do the stripes over the original finish and just clear over the top of that or..?
                    Yes, he did the striping in reverse to how it would have been done originally (darker color, tape, lighter color).

Originally posted by mr426 View Post
                    How are the necks on those? Big 50s LP or more speed neck..Looks great by the way
                    The neck is very comfortable... the Les Pauls from the early 70's varied so much that if they copied his it was fairly fast and a thinner neck. The one thing I really notice is how hard it is to access the higher frets, but if Hendrix could do it on right handed strats, I can manage I've never been crazy about small frets, but man this guitar is so easy to play, I might be a small fret guy from here on out.

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    So did you have the pinstripes made dark metallic blue like Randy's or are they black? His headstock was actually dark metallic blue, too.
                    You know.... it crossed my mind, but the whole guitar would have to be stripped and re-done from head to toe. For something very hard to even notice like metallic purple flake mixed with black, I'm pretty content with what I have here... the 'Poor Mans Tribute'

I can actually live without duct tape on the back too

H

www.howardsstudios.com
                    Last edited by RRHowie; 03-01-2011, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Looks real good.

How does she play?
                      Jackson KV2
                      Jackson KE1T
                      Jackson KE1F
                      Jackson SL1

Comment

outstanding!
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Isn't it just like any other shortwing now, or am I missing something?
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                            Isn't it just like any other shortwing now, or am I missing something?
                            I don't know... can you tell me??

H

www.howardsstudios.com
                            Last edited by RRHowie; 03-01-2011, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Looks awesome!
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X